• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best banner for wrapping truss structure

datoshway

Looking to recommendations on the best banner type and thickness for wrapping a truss structure. Keeping in mind looking for the smoothest look, not sure if I should go with somthing that has stretch like the ULTRAFLEX ULTRAPOPLIN PES C240 or go with something wit PVC thats very thick like a 18oz banner or very thin like a 10oz...

datoshway

Still looking if anybody has ideas for material recommendations. I was a thinking maybe canvas since it has some stretch to it?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
"Truss structure" can mean a lot of things... some of which can change recommendations.

Got a pic?

datoshway

Sure thing. See attached example.

Attachments

• 12619587153_abf8eefc0f_b.jpg
    12619587153_abf8eefc0f_b.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 253

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I'd use banner or flex, maybe mesh.

Sewn hems are an absolute necessity. May even need webbing sewn in.

Looks like the method of attachment is tarp bungees. In order to tension, make sure grommet holes are inset enough from edge (using wider hem) to pull the material in. Personally - I wouldn't print anything without full assembly and measurements, all existing material, OR a manufacturer supplied template.

Beaches are windy places... I dont think a fabric will hold up as well. Canvas would be prohibitively expensive as would 4 way stretch spandex.

You another Merlander?

bannertime

Yeah, unless the person installing it has expience wrapping the trusses, it's not going to be fun. Coro would be best for newbies.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've used a lot of regular old 13oz banner with grommets for this type of project. The main issue we've had is that no one can work a tape measure correctly.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I don't understand using coro for this. I feel like thats going to be a sloppy mess.

Nah, looks good. Especially when you match your ties to the printed coro. I wish I could remember the name of the company that sets up the trusses for most of the major races in the southeast.

bannertime

Are you able to visit the structure while it's fully assembled or can you get old panels to replicate?

As for material, don't use canvas or mesh. 13oz vinyl is just right. Maybe 15oz. Some 9oz dye sub poly with hook and loop seams with sewn hems if you're frisky.

datoshway

I think this material might be an interesting choice. ULTRAFLEX ULTRAPOPLIN PES C240. Description: The poplin texture has a slight stretch, making it ideal for expanding over frame systems and structure applications.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Stretch with grommets sounds like you would have issues when the wind hits it. I think the "stretch banner" is for the tradeshow backdrop stuff where stuff gets stretched over lightweight frames.
For outdoor stuff like this you're gonna want to just use regular old 13oz banner; whatever's cheapest or on sale currently. ;)