• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best color to use for a large banner

Pideas

I'm creating a 25ft outdoor banner for a client. What's the best color to use so the letters can be easily read from a distance? I was thinking of using white lettering on a royal blue background.
Any other suggestions?

Jester

Slow is Fast
What's the best color to use so the letters can be easily read from a distance?

Black on Yellow.

"Taking onto account the sensitivity to light in human vision in combination with contrast, black on yellow produces the highest visual contrast."

chuoC.png

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
There is no flat answer for the OP's original question. The "correct" approach is going to change from one project to the next. One issue is the surroundings. Where is the banner going to be installed? On a building or on some kind of banner frame structure? The background color of the banner needs to stand out from whatever is behind it.

Bold black type on a yellow background will be more legible than just about any other color combination. But the yellow and black color combination makes me think of a can of bug spray or caution tape. Black lettering on a white background can look really stark (and really stupid ugly if it's just Arial Black blown up as big as possible and mashed into the space). It's possible for black lettering to look great on a white background, but that's where actual graphic design has to come into play rather than sleep-walking out some default font garbage.

In the end there is a lot of push and pull between choosing more visually pleasing color combinations and balancing that against keeping the design legible.

netsol

MANY DECADES AGO eastman kodak funded a study and determined that the combination of yellow, red and black were the most "trusted" color combination, as well as being esier to read for all of the common varieties of color blindness