• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best fluorescent tube lights for print shop?

CustomRide

What kind of fluorescent ceiling lights are you running in your shop?

Anyone have any reasonably priced solutions for say a 1500sqft area? 4ft or 8fts are fine with me....prefer 4fts with 2 bulbs though.

Im not looking to drop 2k in lights....I have 10ft ceilings fyi.

do you guys prefer a certain color painted on your walls also with certain lighting?

Thanks in advance for the help!

ThinkRight

Try this /
The term full-spectrum was coined in the 1960s by photobiologist Dr. John Ott to describe electric light sources that simulate the visible and ultraviolet (UV) spectrum of natural light. There are now dozens of electric lighting products marketed as full-spectrum, some promising that they closely simulate daylight and can therefore provide benefits such as better visibility, improved health, and greater productivity. Among the claims:

"…the closest replication of natural sunlight available." (Verilux, 2003)
"…simulates the full-color and balanced ultraviolet spectrum of natural outdoor light." (NaturalLighting.com, 2003)
"True daylight-balanced, full-spectrum light provides highest levels of see-ability; improves performance of color matching, close detail work and all visual tasks." (True Sun, 2003)
"Slows aging of the retina; reduces chance of skin cancer; improves general overall mood and feeling of well-being." (Full Spectrum Solutions, 2003)
"… perfect for plants, pets, and the treatment of seasonal affective disorder (SAD)." (Duro-Test, 2003)
"Helps reduce eye fatigue, and are especially effective over computer screens and other visually demanding tasks." (Duro-Test, 2003)
"Recommended for applications where high color discrimination is a must and to enhance people's sense of comfort and well being." (Lumiram, 2003)
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightinganswers/fullspectrum/abstract.asp
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/full_spectrum_light_bulbs_30_ctg.htm

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I have 16 8 foot twin bulb fixures - I use Philips 6500k Daylight Deluxe bulbs in them. If one goes out and a regular tube gets installed in one it's extremley obvious. I need to get some one - I have one like that right now - the regular bulb looks flat out pink beside the daylight bulb.

cartoad

If I read your post correct, you are looking at new fixures and bulbs. You might want to check with your local PUD to see what they have for relamping programs. Could save you some big $$$$, we recently changed over to a very bright bulb, 4 per fixture, really lit up the joint.

Custom_Grafx

I was taught print standard viewing is D50 (5000k). This is considered to be "daylight". Good idea to match what it will look like outside as much as possible. Unless of course you make most of your stuff for indoor viewing, where you know for example all the lights are 6500k. In that case, you would also want 6500k lights.

OldPaint

also if your investing in lighting the big T 12 bulbs will be going away soon. and you will have to get fixtures for the new T 8..... these are much brighter and when shop is cold they dont flicker like the T 12 do.

JoshLoring

We went green and had all of our lights swapped for energy saving lights and motion sensors for the light timers. Bet our landlord will love us when we move but we save so much in electricity.
FYI- we didnt pay a dime. Just ask your electricity company, they have programs that cover it 100%

CustomRide

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I went with home depot and got 12- 8ft high output fixtures with t8 bulbs The fixtures are about $59ea (on their website) and bulbs are $7ea and each fixture has 4 bulbs. I wanted to stay away from the t-12s. I went with the cool white as I installed the daylight deluxe bulbs and could not stand them....too blue for me....I know cool white is not the best however its easier on my eyes and I will have another room with better lighting for verifying print colors and so forth.

Thanks again for all the responses I was a little lost on where to start....so many options out there and I need to get this taken care of fairly quick!