• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best fume extraction option ?

Adamo

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm an employee for a large signage company in Australia. We work from a pretty old building/warehouse. I'm having some issues with some confusion and misunderstandings from my supervisor and boss.

When I first started we had one digital printer, a Mimaki JV33 that sits in a pretty small room with some extraction hoses attached to it. Me and my co worker sit close to the room but we almost always shut the door while it's printing so that has never been a big deal.

The problem started when they bought a MUTOH Trafficjet 1638X, this now sits in the big open area we sit at our desks. Most people complained of the smell at first so they bought a PUREX 200 air filter box that they attached a hose with, this worked great until they realized they need to replace the filter roughly every 6-8 months. So they disconnected that and have now made some DYI makeshift hose with a fan extractor into the roof. I have a feeling this is not properly working as the distance from the printer to the roof is quite high ?

Now Just today I've asked to at least move desk areas so I'm not sitting in such close proximity to all the fumes, which is giving me headaches.

There's so much info out there to what works the best and what dosen't work at all, maybe if someone could explain what the best solution would be I give put it forth to my boss and get this fume problem sorted.

Also, I mentioned this system to him http://www.islandcleanair.com/units/d2000/ ..
He has yet to say anything about it for now though..

Snydo

You will need to change charcoal in the Duster 2000 as well, the manufacturer recommends changing every 3-6 months. We change ours annually with 3 eco-solvs in the rooms. I believe 2 bags run between $250-300 US. It does an amazing job.
I would press the boss hard because you should definately not be breathing those fumes on the regular.

Adamo

I will be. Starting to get really frustrated as I've pressed them for ages with no positive outcome.

What is the best combo of extraction for something that sits in close proximity to us ?

billsines

In the States we have OSHA...I know, I know, lots of red tape, barely competent inspectors, etc, but the idea behind it is the safety and health of employees especially as it pertains to negligent bosses and unsafe working environments. Do you have anything like that where you can make an anonymous call and have an inspector show up?

That might take too long. If I was you I would lay some ultimatums and/or find employment elsewhere. If they keep blowing you off, you have nothing to gain there except maybe health problems. Not sure what the job climate is there, so this might be easier said than done.

Bighitter

Where are you purchasing the carbon pellets and the filters? I checked with Midwest Sign and I need to purchase a case of filters. Carbon pellet pricing is out of this world as well. If you prefer to email me directly, you can do so at dbruk@image360brookfield.com

Thanks much!