• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best masking tape? Not premask.

Which masking tape do you guys use where you can't use your magnets?

We've tried all manner masking tape and nothing is that great?

I'm guessing its a 3m product of some kind but do they sell it at wal-mart?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've been using 3M #2020 tan masking tape for years. It has a good grab and releases with no adhesive residue left behind. We get it at Home Depot.

Charlie J

I get this from my local automotive paint store. Good stuff.
attachment.php

Attachments

• masking tape.jpg
    masking tape.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 102

Gene@mpls

3M makes a green masking tape for autobody- crazy grip- we keep it in
3/4 and 1.5 inch. You wouldn't find it at wallyworld tho.

Thanks for the input I will check an autoparts store?
also that is the most detailed picture of masking tape I think I have ever seen! Nice

I can't go to Lowes...my wife says I have a problem lol

graphix45

When you find which 3M tape you like, you can get it in larger quantities from Uline and save $$ per roll. The initial cost is alot, but you can forget about buying tape for 18 months.

OldPaint

best place to get masking tape...........NAPA auto paint, DUPONT auto paint, SIIKENS auto paint, HOK paint stores..................most of them carry THE BEST.........for automotive work. i dont even look at HOME DEPOT, LOWES or WALLY WORLD for tape. when buying from an automotive paint store, masking tape is sold in singles or SLEEVE. this is a 12 pack. i usually by 6 3/4" & 3 2". also if you have any of these places near you......THEY WILL DELIVER to your door.

wildside

We've been using 3M #2020 tan masking tape for years. It has a good grab and releases with no adhesive residue left behind. We get it at Home Depot.

:thumb: 2020 is the best!!

works good in the hot and cold not just middle ground

we get it from sherwin williams, homedepot don't carry the 2020 line in these parts

Stuckup

Which masking tape do you guys use where you can't use your magnets?

We've tried all manner masking tape and nothing is that great?

I'm guessing its a 3m product of some kind but do they sell it at wal-mart?

The Guys who do the Bus Graphics every week here use Gaffa Tape/100 Mile an hour Tape. They have to do their jobs outside at night Rain Hail or shine (ok, moonlight). Strong adhesive quality leaves minimal residue and it is made from durable sturdy cloth with rubber adhesive backing, Does not fall off and is reusable down whole job unless it is wet. Does not tear unless you want it to. They usually use mid range to low cost tape as the Bond is not too strong and is able to reused continually on a clean surface, It comes off clean from APP tape and the Surface. I also now use it instead of masking tape. "BEAR" tape is what I buy here.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I like 3M yellow "Automotive Refinish Masking Tape" but my installer swears by the 3M Blue Painters Tape. We buy the yellow tape by the "sleeve" in our paint/body shop (from Smyth IIRC) & he buys his blue tape from Wallyworld.

It's kind of like vinyl, find one you like & stick with it. We both have little problems when we switch from our regular tape.