Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best masking tape? Not premask.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Banners Signs Etc., May 31, 2012.

1. Banners Signs Etc.

Banners Signs Etc. Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    Which masking tape do you guys use where you can't use your magnets?

We've tried all manner masking tape and nothing is that great?

I'm guessing its a 3m product of some kind but do they sell it at wal-mart?

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    We've been using 3M #2020 tan masking tape for years. It has a good grab and releases with no adhesive residue left behind. We get it at Home Depot.

3. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    I get this from my local automotive paint store. Good stuff.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    3M makes a green masking tape for autobody- crazy grip- we keep it in
    3/4 and 1.5 inch. You wouldn't find it at wallyworld tho.

5. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Uses 3M blue #2090 others they make also work

6. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Same as Fred. 3M from Home Depot or Lowes. 2 inch rolls, get it in 3 packs.

7. Banners Signs Etc.

Banners Signs Etc. Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the input I will check an autoparts store?
    also that is the most detailed picture of masking tape I think I have ever seen! Nice

I can't go to Lowes...my wife says I have a problem lol

8. graphix45

graphix45 Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eastern NC
    When you find which 3M tape you like, you can get it in larger quantities from Uline and save $$ per roll. The initial cost is alot, but you can forget about buying tape for 18 months.

9. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    3M green from automotive paint store. Good stuff but a little pricey.

10. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

best place to get masking tape...........NAPA auto paint, DUPONT auto paint, SIIKENS auto paint, HOK paint stores..................most of them carry THE BEST.........for automotive work. i dont even look at HOME DEPOT, LOWES or WALLY WORLD for tape. when buying from an automotive paint store, masking tape is sold in singles or SLEEVE. this is a 12 pack. i usually by 6 3/4" & 3 2". also if you have any of these places near you......THEY WILL DELIVER to your door.

11. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    :thumb: 2020 is the best!!

works good in the hot and cold not just middle ground

we get it from sherwin williams, homedepot don't carry the 2020 line in these parts

12. Stuckup

Stuckup Verboten

Apr 22, 2012
    The Guys who do the Bus Graphics every week here use Gaffa Tape/100 Mile an hour Tape. They have to do their jobs outside at night Rain Hail or shine (ok, moonlight). Strong adhesive quality leaves minimal residue and it is made from durable sturdy cloth with rubber adhesive backing, Does not fall off and is reusable down whole job unless it is wet. Does not tear unless you want it to. They usually use mid range to low cost tape as the Bond is not too strong and is able to reused continually on a clean surface, It comes off clean from APP tape and the Surface. I also now use it instead of masking tape. "BEAR" tape is what I buy here.

13. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I like 3M yellow "Automotive Refinish Masking Tape" but my installer swears by the 3M Blue Painters Tape. We buy the yellow tape by the "sleeve" in our paint/body shop (from Smyth IIRC) & he buys his blue tape from Wallyworld.

It's kind of like vinyl, find one you like & stick with it. We both have little problems when we switch from our regular tape.