• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best material for full colour print on white plexi?

Vohaul

Hey All,

am doing a couple full colour printed signs for install in a backlit can....
The white plexi insert is already there ..(brand new, never been used)
i'm just wondering whether i should print on clear vinyl, or translucent white...
ive used translucent white before, but i'm not really fond of its slightly off white colour (looks slightly dirty to me) and its more expensive

Thanks

Paul

Hey All,

am doing a couple full colour printed signs for install in a backlit can....
The white plexi insert is already there ..(brand new, never been used)
i'm just wondering whether i should print on clear vinyl, or translucent white...
ive used translucent white before, but i'm not really fond of its slightly off white colour (looks slightly dirty to me) and its more expensive

Thanks

Paul
I would use clear , the sign will pop much more. I have used the translucent white and you right it looks dingy etc.

ThatGuy

If it needs to be printed we usually use Avery MPI2050 for 1st surface and reverse print on 3M 40c clear for 2nd surface. We do not double print on 1st surface. This gives us the best day & night colors.

unclebun

If your translucent vinyl is off-white in color, try a different brand. We use Avery translucent white and it is very white.

For the best color both daytime and when lit from behind, print the sign on clear and on the translucent, and mount the clear to the face first, then the translucent print in registration on top of it. This gives a vibrant, rich color when internally lit as well as when viewed in daylight.

Some people double strike the print on translucent or clear, but this yields a print that still doesn't look as saturated when internally lit, and is too dark in daylight.

Or you can do like all my competition does and use a single print on calendared white vinyl as if they were making a regular sign on opaque substrate. This looks fine in daylight but is faded and washed out when internally lit. But then you can undercharge by half!

bannertime

I know that some translucent materials have an old yellow tint, but once the liner is removed they look bright white.