• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Best method painting PVC

Maddogmike

What failure did you experience, Gino?
I was going to take black vinyl and cover it and paint the edges black. That was my first intent. But Sherwin-Williams is saying they have paint now that would bond to PVC and I would like to try it. Thanks for your reply.

Billct2

I wouldn't recommend PVC either, use black ACM and if it has to be thicker use 1"x1" tube frame

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it hasta be PVC, then just get black PVC. It'll still fade, but not as fast.

You do realize there are a dozen manufacturers from which you can purchase colored PVCs....... and they all fade at a different rate.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
I agree on not recommending PVC panels in the sun, especially dark colors. It expands way too much when it gets hot and will curl. We have seen some people use PVC for individual letters out here but eventually they will warp as well. We do have some pretty intense sun out here in AZ tho :)

Maddogmike

Interesting. What other material would be good choice with 0.50" thickness and paintable for outdoor use?
Thanks for all the responses.

printhog

Some cheap PVC sheets will buckle and warp in just 30 minutes in the sun.. had one go bad in the back of my truck going back to the shop. literally a sea of waves.. I'd use MDO.

GB2

Old Member
I don't believe Black PVC is generally sold as an exterior rated product, it is only for interior use. You can use 6mm AC and paint that Black. If you need .5" I would not recommend PVC, especially if you are in the Atlanta sun, however I've painted .75" and 1" PVC in dark color with Acrylic Latex paint with no problem. I've also used 3mm Black ACM with no problem.