• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Best mid-level flatbed printer?

Graphic Realm

$150-250k - Vutek, EFI 30f, Oce, Digitech, Vanguard, Strojet?
While speed is great I am looking for info for best quality. I would take a slower machine with better quality but still want 20+ boards an hour

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Agfa Anapurna LED 2500i. Great machine. Easy to maintain. 20+ hr no problem. Its a hybrid so rigid and roll to roll.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Agfa Anapurna LED 2500i. Great machine. Easy to maintain. 20+ hr no problem. Its a hybrid so rigid and roll to roll.
For 2500i

Production mode 35-57 m²/h (377-614 ft²/h)
Standard mode 21-31 m²/h (226-334 ft²/h)
High-quality mode 16-17 m²/h (172-183 ft²/h)

So even for production it would be under 20 b/h right? And OP is looking for good quality.
Kind of no-brainer to talk about draft or express speeds if someone is looking for quality in my opinion.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We pull 20 an hour in production mode without an issue completely good in a 3 pass. The Standard mode is awesome in 4 pass with a moderate interlace. Need better quality....say really small type, slow the carriage speed down. HQ mode sucks and there is no interlace at all and not worth the time. Even with our standard or production modes...we have very small type that is highly legible.

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
Why? Build and speed hands down they are one of the best but I have seen some of the quality and wasn't real impressed.

I print 60 boards an hour of foam board in better quality than the CET Q5, HP FB700 and another printer I can't say (all that I own), with no issues. There's always going to be something better but I don't think there are many in this price range that will.

parrott

I print 60 boards an hour of foam board in better quality than the CET Q5, HP FB700 and another printer I can't say (all that I own), with no issues. There's always going to be something better but I don't think there are many in this price range that will.

I second this. Have had our Digitech since end of august and are still amazed with the speed, quality and durability. We print crisp 8 point type on .020 styrene at 45 seconds a sheet. With the auto-unloader, you can easily hit 60 boards an hour without killing your operator.

The vanguard is a close contender and is a great bang for your buck. There were a few features that it was missing and is a little slower than the Digitech but overall is a solid printer.

If you want the highest quality you need to look at SwissQ but you are not going to get the speed in that price range. Unless you are doing lenticular prints or something that is specialized, the Digitech or vanguard should suffice.

parrott

I would add to say that i would research the service contracts after your 1 year warranty expires. Your jaw may hit the floor when you see what some of the larger OEM companies charge for little to no service. I am done with HP after seeing the games they play.

signheremd

We recently bought a Fluid Color R6 Series R84F Turbo Ricoh Gen 6 LED UV Cure 4’ x 8’ flatbed printer and are really pleased with it.
Square feet per hour:
Draft 649
Production 484
Quality 371

https://www.digitalcolorink.com/products/fluid-color-ricoh-gen-6-led-uv-cure-4-x-8

Gen 6 Ricoh heads are great! You can even order with double row of heads and be under your $150k budget. The folks at Fluid Color used to refurbish old printers - so they beefed up the parts that cause problems. And service is top notch; they even include a USB camera so you can show them live any issue your machine has to help them resolve before visiting. American made inks. Just a lot to love about it.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
I’m a big fan of Digitech. They are solid, reliable and economical. We installed our first 3 years ago and a year later bought a second one. I expect my next flatbed will also be a Digitech.

Graphic Realm

I second this. Have had our Digitech since end of august and are still amazed with the speed, quality and durability. We print crisp 8 point type on .020 styrene at 45 seconds a sheet. With the auto-unloader, you can easily hit 60 boards an hour without killing your operator.

The vanguard is a close contender and is a great bang for your buck. There were a few features that it was missing and is a little slower than the Digitech but overall is a solid printer.

If you want the highest quality you need to look at SwissQ but you are not going to get the speed in that price range. Unless you are doing lenticular prints or something that is specialized, the Digitech or vanguard should suffice.
Did you get the 4 head or 8 head trufire?

parrott

We were initially looking at the 4 head but ended up going with 8 head (dual cmyk) + 2 white. Very happy with our decision.

Graphic Realm

We were initially looking at the 4 head but ended up going with 8 head (dual cmyk) + 2 white. Very happy with our decision.
Do you think it would be over kill for a very small shop? It looks like you're a fan of Vanguard as well. Have you had experience with vanguard?

parrott

No such thing as overkill. You always want to buy more than your current needs unless you don’t plan on growing.

Both companies are great. I liked the build and the software better of Digitech. The quality of the machines they are putting out are truly incredible. Their support has been great with any questions we have had. Direct line to 4 techs that keep you up and running.

I would recommend getting in front of both machines and you will see where the extra money is going.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We run a Vanguard and are very happy with it. It will be around 20BPH in pretty good quality. Digitech is a phenomenal machine as well, but I think the Trufire is a little more costly than your budget.

I also agree with getting more than you need. There's alot of manufacturing theory that you can apply here, but double the speed often leads to alot more than double the capacity, for example.

Sales in this industry don't flow in through a pipe, they come in buckets. Sure your pipe can handle 96 gallons a day, but that assumes your orders demand 4 gallons per hour. What really happens is a customer needs 60 gallons before noon.

Hope that made sense :)

Graphic Realm

We run a Vanguard and are very happy with it. It will be around 20BPH in pretty good quality. Digitech is a phenomenal machine as well, but I think the Trufire is a little more costly than your budget.

I also agree with getting more than you need. There's alot of manufacturing theory that you can apply here, but double the speed often leads to alot more than double the capacity, for example.

Sales in this industry don't flow in through a pipe, they come in buckets. Sure your pipe can handle 96 gallons a day, but that assumes your orders demand 4 gallons per hour. What really happens is a customer needs 60 gallons before noon.

Hope that made sense :)
Thanks. Makes total sense. It is feast or famine. There would definitely be some idle time. I can get two of the 8-head CET Linears for the cost of one of the 4-head Digitech. I have test drove the Vanguard 3 times now. Never got a superior quality print. Vanguard blamed each site with not being setup or not profiled correctly. They finally got a good print(not sure the pass or settings) but it took 6-7 minutes. Do you know anything about the new Canon 2300? Tough to beat that 0% financing

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Makes total sense. It is feast or famine. There would definitely be some idle time. I can get two of the 8-head CET Linears for the cost of one of the 4-head Digitech. I have test drove the Vanguard 3 times now. Never got a superior quality print. Vanguard blamed each site with not being setup or not profiled correctly. They finally got a good print(not sure the pass or settings) but it took 6-7 minutes. Do you know anything about the new Canon 2300? Tough to beat that 0% financing

Look at a Digitech.