• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Practices: Measuring for Design / Laser measuring tool / Smart Phone Apps

WrapSpot

When I'm at a customer's location making measurements for say a storefront or wall display, I tend to make a lot of measurements and draw a lot of diagrams on a note pad. Can you share what you have found as the best way to take your measurements (best tools for measurement and recording) and then how you transfer them to your design software? Seems like there is probably a faster, better way and who better to ask than those of you who do this all of the time.

1. Best measurement tool (laser measuring device?)
2. Best way to record measurements (phone app? laptop? paper? Bluetooth?)
3. Best way to incorporate photos

Thanks!

WrapGuy10

I bring my iPad with a stylus pen. Take a nice flat picture. Open it up in "Draw on Top" app and record measurements. This way I can easily add it to the customers folder when I get back to the shop. Heres a pic for example. IMG_0284.jpg

WrapSpot

I currently use an app called "Photo Measures" for android. Are you using a tape measure or something else?

Mi Apa Storefront Diagram.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I bring my iPad with a stylus pen. Take a nice flat picture. Open it up in "Draw on Top" app and record measurements. This way I can easily add it to the customers folder when I get back to the shop. Heres a pic for example. View attachment 117481

In your picture, I can't figure out why that bottom window is smaller then the first two ?? Am I missing something ??

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
windows 1.jpg windows 2.jpg

All I do is take a high-res picture ( unless if you take pictures with your calculator this won't be an issue)
Then measure overall length and height.Plus always measure the frame width also. And that't it.
I will open the image on my computer and make the window frames all squared out in photoshop ( see attached pictures)
Scale up your two measurements and boom. You got everything measured. I have done a LOOOT of store fronts this way. Never had a problem. Unless you got to much obsticle blocking the store front and can't see it on the picture or the store front is suuuuuper big this should be fine. You will need 1/4 maybe 1/2 inch bleed all around. If you like to cut the window perf to be exactly the size of the window because you don't like to cut then you might have to measure everything one by one.
This never failed me tho. Super fast. 3 measurements. 1 picture.

Hard to see it on the first pic but the window frames were not parallel with the guide lines.