• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Printer for the $

SpazSigns

I know this is a broad question but I'm wanting to try out a printer but don't have 25+k to spend on one yet. Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks again guys

daenterpri

The HP L25500 seems pretty popular these days. With latex you don't have to wait to laminate your print for outdoor stuff. I've seen quotes around $16k brand new. Not bad for a new machine.

artbot

buy used! when your business is pumping you'll know it. a more expensive printer will be the way to go. jv3 is a pain to run but a solid machine. roland is a great machine, a bit more expensive not a heavy duty. you should be able to get a really nice machine for $4k.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Stay away from the 30" machine. Take a look at your business and you will very quickly realize your average banner is 3X8, therefore a 30" printer will not do the job.

high impact

I don't know that I agree to stay away from the 30 inch machine. I used a 30 inch printer for years. It entirely depends on your budget and the majority of the type of work you do. You can sub out any jobs you get with prints larger then 28 inches width. A 30 inch machine could be a great starter machine for you while you learn to get your feet wet in the printing world with less upfront material cost.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Outsource to one of the many shops in here until you have built up enough to justify getting the right equipment like the laminator and cutter and software. How do you plan on getting business?

CS-SignSupply-TT

OUTSOURCING...as a profitable business model

Outsource to one of the many shops in here until you have built up enough to justify getting the right equipment like the laminator and cutter and software. How do you plan on getting business?

BigFish, since I started in the distribution business in 1997, I have regularly encouraged customers to OUTSOURCE and bank the profits until the sales volume supports the acqusition of equipment.

Almonte

For outsourcing digital prints, how much do shops usually markup? It's been hit or miss when I markup 100%, but I'm hesitant to lower the markup in case something goes wrong. I don't want to have to re-buy the same print and lose money.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
For outsourcing digital prints, how much do shops usually markup? It's been hit or miss when I markup 100%, but I'm hesitant to lower the markup in case something goes wrong. I don't want to have to re-buy the same print and lose money.

Mark up on the prints I get is normally 75% and I add on my design time rate and install time rate for what I expect it to be. I know there are some places that go upwards of 200% but they include install time with that markup. (not including rivet and material prep fees)

EricRamse

Depends on the job/customer. Our answer is "As much as we can".

Our minimum markup is 100%, but we're typically closer to 200-250%.

Build a network of partners that will wholesale to each other, everyone wins.

HulkSmash

lmao. I love how SW says you can print a wrap on that thing, and shows a fully wrapped ATV. typical Sign Warehouse

briankb

Premium Subscriber
outsource first. then if you need to, find and buy something used, as many have already said. there is plenty of good used stuff. just call the reps who sell new they usually have trade-in's, then negotiate.

As far as that stuff from SW...

Why on earth would you buy that pieced together little 12" wide print/cut monstrosity for $6k+ when you can get a brand new Roland 20" Printer/Cutter with their VersaWorks RIP and 1yr warranty for $8k and probably less after some haggling?

http://rolanddga.com/products/printcut/bn/

Roland VersaStudio BN-20 Retails for $8,495
  • 20" Printer & Cutter
  • Eco-Sol CMYK + Metallic Silver!
  • VersaWorks RIP
  • 1yr Warranty

Last edited: