• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Best Sign For This Building

Marshallmax

Just looking for opinions, what would you replace that old painted lettering with?

Attachments

• 87F4AF5B-5A51-42C1-B945-ECDC94AFF60B.jpeg
    87F4AF5B-5A51-42C1-B945-ECDC94AFF60B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 504

player

You could put an illuminated sign box on the parapet. It could go up over the roof for extra impact.

visual800

We all know used car lots aint gonna spend money, nonetheless, I would do some .040 aluminum coverup and reverse the company name on it so it stands out. In a perfect world they would redo the whole building and make it look nice but you didnt indicated thats what they were doing. I doubt very seriously they would go for a lighted sign, see attached layout

Attachments

• ctr.jpg
    ctr.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 371

Billct2

Yea, my suggestion would be to reskin the whole fascia with ACM in a nice color and letter on top of that. Wouldn't cost all that much and would be a huge improvement

Marshallmax

We all know used car lots aint gonna spend money, nonetheless, I would do some .040 aluminum coverup and reverse the company name on it so it stands out. In a perfect world they would redo the whole building and make it look nice but you didnt indicated thats what they were doing. I doubt very seriously they would go for a lighted sign, see attached layout

hey that’s for the info and the layout, definitely going to go in that direction

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If the customer had the budget for it, lighted channel letters on a raceway would be the most effective choice. Non lighted, fabricated metal or plastic letters (whether you make them yourself or order them from an outfit like Gemini or ARK Ramos) would also be effective.

Sign cabinets with flat acrylic or pan-formed Lexan faces are (usually) less expensive than channel letters. But the lettering, logos, etc all end up having to be smaller to fit within the confines of the sign cabinet. You have to take into account the retainers and then have some "breathing space" in the sign face for the design. Channel letters don't have those restrictions. And they fit into a wide variety of building architecture.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I agree, if you do any more than this you're wasting your time. Id even tell the guy a lighted sign was a waste of his money and to upgrade later if things worked out. Look at the building. It’ll be a buy here pay here and likely gone in 6 months.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If the customer had the budget for it, lighted channel letters on a raceway would be the most effective choice. Non lighted, fabricated metal or plastic letters (whether you make them yourself or order them from an outfit like Gemini or ARK Ramos) would also be effective.

Sign cabinets with flat acrylic or pan-formed Lexan faces are (usually) less expensive than channel letters. But the lettering, logos, etc all end up having to be smaller to fit within the confines of the sign cabinet. You have to take into account the retainers and then have some "breathing space" in the sign face for the design. Channel letters don't have those restrictions. And they fit into a wide variety of building architecture.

We don't know the budget here, but based on real world experience your suggestions are a waste of time. I'd bet ACM is too expensive and they will find someone off the street that will hand letter it with paint for a few hundred bucks.

Johnny Best

You know it is not going to be CarTown again. There are for sale and for rent signs all over it. The guys just looking for ideas on what to do for the new guy coming in. No permit for over the roof line sign or pulling someone off the street to paint a sign. Or sign letters or cabinet which are all good ideas. Maybe a good place for and old fashion A&W burger place with girls on roller skates bringing the food to your car.

Marshallmax

The guy who rented the property is planning on putting a produce and plants shop there. The sign is going to say “Valley Produce & Plants”. Just wanted to get some opinions so I could have a few different ideas to throw his way.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Texas_SignMaker said:
We don't know the budget here, but based on real world experience your suggestions are a waste of time.

I've designed plenty of signs for used car lots over the years. Some of those jobs have included lighted channel letters, even here in Lawton. Not all used car lots are so cheap or budget-strapped that they can only afford some vinyl or painted lettering on the building fascia. But go ahead and blow right past the first sentence in my earlier post: if the customer had the budget for it.

Marshallmax

I've designed plenty of signs for used car lots over the years. Some of those jobs have included lighted channel letters, even here in Lawton. Not all used car lots are so cheap or budget-strapped that they can only afford some vinyl or painted lettering on the building fascia. But go ahead and blow right past the first sentence in my earlier post: if the customer had the budget for it.

Hey man I greatly appreciate the input. I didn’t mention a budget intentionally because I wanted both expensive and inexpensive ideas.