• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Vehicle Wrap Design Software

kustomguy

Hi Everyone. Been in the custom paint, commercial lettering business for years. I have always uses Illustrator and Photoshop to design and then rip and print with versaworks with a Roland. I recently purchased a 1304 Mutoh and sc1400d cutter to get serious about the vehicle wrap business. I also purchased Cadlink's Signlab to rip, print, and cut for that new equipment. Learning Signlab is like learning another language after 15 years of Adobe. I am looking for opinions from guys with experience like mine about whether or not I should even try to learn Signlab and just continue using AI and Photoshop to design my work. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences. One more question to start a debate... what do you guys think is the best vehicle wrap design software?

Joe Diaz

Corel Draw. But that is what I think. If you are familiar with Adobe products just keep using them. A lot of wrap designers use Adobe. I would guess the majority do.

kustomguy

I appreciate the opinions. So does that mean the only thing I need Signlab for is to rip, print and cut? Just bring in the .eps files and output them. I paid a lot for that software, I am starting to wonder if it was necessary. The Mutoh came with Flexi 8 but the dealer said it was bare necessities for rip and print.

Joe Diaz

I appreciate the opinions. So does that mean the only thing I need Signlab for is to rip, print and cut? Just bring in the .eps files and output them. I paid a lot for that software, I am starting to wonder if it was necessary. The Mutoh came with Flexi 8 but the dealer said it was bare necessities for rip and print.

If the Mutoh printer came with Flexi as its only rip/print/cut solution, then yeah just use it for that. If Mutoh has it's own rip/print/cut solution, then I would try to sell Flexi if you are already comfortable with Illy and PS. Our Roland VersaCam came with it's own "VersaWorks" that isn't a design program at all. It simply rips prints and cuts. We use Corel for the actual design work, then like you said, export the work as .eps or whatever bitmap format we chose.

You have to ask yourself this: Does the extra time needed to learn new software and even more time to become comfortable with it, justify the need to fully use flexi as a replacement to what you already know how to use?

kustomguy

Well, basically we used ai and ps to do all design and exported to versaworks for rip, print and cut... just like you said you do. When we bought the Mutoh it came with a rip, print, and cut version of Flexi that offers no design capabilities. Our dealer told us that we could upgrade to Signlab which offers design capabilities plus an excellent rip, print and cut and offers loads of profiles and other things. It is suppose to be so good that some Roland users use it over Versaworks to rip, print and cut. It is clear to me now that I will keep on designing with ai and ps. It is just a heartbreaker that I spent another $1400 on signlab just for rip, print and cut because I am too intimidated by it to try and design something. Time is precious to me and I don't feel like learning Russian. Know what I mean?

SSG_SIGNS

I design everything in Corel then do my effects in photo paint and then export everything out to signlab and use it just for ripping & printing. Works great no problems yet.

luggnut

the majority design in adobe or corel and only use flexi or signlab for the rip.

if your package already included a flexi that would RIP, print and cut, and you already have the adobe apps.. i say your salesman shafted you. the only complete designing i do in flexi is for cut vinyl. i use it to node edit and get a basic layout to export to illustrator sometimes too. but as a wrap design tool it is lacking.

ykaldes

Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat will be the most reliable and stable programs. Next you should consider useing serious RIP such as Onyx. If you'll be contracted to do a few vehicles with the same wrap how would you explain the color difference? beside, you'll enjoy the easy fllow of the job.

encadtech

If you don't already have them - check out www.digitalauto.on.ca . These are 1/20th scaled drawings of 98% of all the vehicles out there. With these and Photoshop you can produce all the graphics you need - I use flexi w/ my Mutoh 1304 - never had a problem. Not had any hands on experience with Signlab other than seeing at the tradeshows - 1 more app to try and master I guess =)

kustomguy

Thanks guys. I am wrestling with signlab a bit. It hasn't been an easy transition for me. The 1304 came with flexi print se. As far as I know, I cannot rip, print AND contour cut with this program and that was the reason for purchasing signlab. I can see the potential for signlab being a great program for our business and have already done some jobs with success. I have been avoiding its design capabilities like the plague though. I simply enjoy using AI and PS. One thing signlab seems to miss out on is the "easy flow of the job". Just too many settings and options. Makes me crazy. I have never heard of ONYX so if anyone is willing to fill me in on that a bit, I will listen.

DIGITAL360

Photoshop, illustrator,pro vehicle outlines & rip software that came with printer is all you need. everything else goes in the garbage especially flexisign & signlab unless you want to take a crash course. Been There,Done that

luggnut

The 1304 came with flexi print se.

i'm sure you could rip and print with flexi print se... not sure about the contour, but i thought you could. if you are already good witht the adobe products, then i would design with those and use the flexi to rip and print. i don't think you really need signlab? an expensive program when you already have the flexi print. i personally use flexi only for its RIP and print and for cut vinyl, though i like how its text preview and node editing works and often start the bare bones of a design in flexi.

66duane

question about design

i recently was going thru aurora graphics web page and outstanding stuff but i want to learn how to make what they want to charge me $500 FOR,,, I know its easier to buy it but i guess im cheap,,,anyway im old and ya got to think about gettin buried one of these days,, anyway is there a program or something that shows how to make wrap deals like they have,,, i have corel , photoshop, some decent programs and i have vinymaster as a rip program,,,,,,, can someone help a old man,,,,,,,,,, thanks duane

Buffum_1

Elated to know about this vehicle wrap software. Couple of months ago, took help of one of best designers for getting vehicle wraps done for my car. They provided amazing designs and my wife too loved it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Photoshop, illustrator,pro vehicle outlines & rip software that came with printer is all you need. everything else goes in the garbage especially flexisign & signlab unless you want to take a crash course. Been There,Done that
I completely agree, this is my process also. Recently I have tried to make all of my layers as placed smart objects and work at 50% scale at low res to speed up the design process. When the art is approved I will change my resolution and scale up to 100% (actual) size and save my flattened TIF.

Baz

From what i understand. People who use Corel will have an easier time learning Signlab. People who use Illustrator will have an easier time learning Flexi.

Personnaly (as a Roland user)... I used to use Flexi, Illustrator and Photoshop. Once i joined up with Adobe Cloud i have dropped Flexi all together and use Versaworks for printing/cutting and use Roland Cut Studio for cutting vinyl. Using Roland's Illustrator plug-in is really convenient.