• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for 1-way visibility

Rico

I have a customer who runs a large doggy daycare. She has a 100' long large play area with giant windows that parallel a sidewalk where literally thousands of people walk around all day. There have been issues with people walking up to the glass to get a closer look at the dogs which causes the dogs to become excited and some have gotten aggressive at the activity. We have tried signage asking people to keep their distance, but you know how that goes.

My customer is looking for a 1-way effect so that the dogs cannot see outside - or at least blocked quite a bit - but she would like the people to see the dogs. All of the films I have found are designed for the opposite (inside can see out but outside cannot see in). I did try a non-traditional 1-way window product, putting it on the inside hoping it would work, but it didn't. The outside cannot see in which defeats the purpose.

I was thinking of perforated vinyl but have limited experience with it. If it is not printed, would I need a laminate? Is there an inexpensive perf product? this is going on the inside of the glass in a climate controlled building and and is facing north under an awning so gets zero direct sunlight.

Or is there come other vinyl product that can be suggested? I have looked through every catalog I have but can't find anything better

The only other option is an acid etch, like general formulations product, but that will allow neither side to see anything.

any thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can't they put a small fence up ?? Or rope the area off ??

I'd be afraid the dogs will get vinyl off or scratched up.​

Rico

Oh, you mean like the attached? That's what I meant by "you know how that goes". People are self-indulged.

I am really only looking for suggestions for vinyl. Believe me we have tried many things The dogs wont scratch the windows if they can't see people or if the people are more-or-less invisible.

Right now she has a long 5' banner covering the 100' of windows, but this is a massively expensive, custom designed space right in the heart of Seattle and the banner looks like crap.

Attachments

• ROPES1.jpg
    ROPES1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 307

Rico

Here's another for your amusement. Hard to make out, but the text right in front of her face says "PLEASE DO NOT GET TOO CLOSE OR TAP ON GLASS".

Trust me, we have tried everything we can but people want to see 75 dogs goofing around and they don't care about words, signs, ropes.

Attachments

• gump.jpg
    gump.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 238

2B

frosted vinyl will allow both sides to see shapes and movement but no details

the window perf works with whichever side is brighter, so install on the inside with spotlights shinning onto it. See if that works
Just remember that anything installed on the inside runs the risk of the dogs damaging it

Rico

Install the etch on the inside. Dogs don't see people, people don't see dogs. Nicer than banners.

As a last resort, yes, but there is too much marketing value in having thousands of people a day - many dog lovers (it's Seattle) - seeing your playpens full of happy dogs playing. Put on acid etch, and nobody knows what's going on in there.

frosted vinyl will allow both sides to see shapes and movement but no details

the window perf works with whichever side is brighter, so install on the inside with spotlights shinning onto it. See if that works
Just remember that anything installed on the inside runs the risk of the dogs damaging it

I know how acid etch works, and that was my suggestion to my customer as a last resort (see above). I really would rather find some way for people to see the dogs, but not the dogs see them.

I will have to try some perf out to see if it will work. I was hoping people who work with more vinyl than I do could offer up something I didn't know about.

Thank you both for your replies.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a customer who runs a large doggy daycare. She has a 100' long large play area with giant windows that parallel a sidewalk where literally thousands of people walk around all day. There have been issues with people walking up to the glass to get a closer look at the dogs which causes the dogs to become excited and some have gotten aggressive at the activity. We have tried signage asking people to keep their distance, but you know how that goes.

My customer is looking for a 1-way effect so that the dogs cannot see outside - or at least blocked quite a bit - but she would like the people to see the dogs. All of the films I have found are designed for the opposite (inside can see out but outside cannot see in). I did try a non-traditional 1-way window product, putting it on the inside hoping it would work, but it didn't. The outside cannot see in which defeats the purpose.

I was thinking of perforated vinyl but have limited experience with it. If it is not printed, would I need a laminate? Is there an inexpensive perf product? this is going on the inside of the glass in a climate controlled building and and is facing north under an awning so gets zero direct sunlight.

Or is there come other vinyl product that can be suggested? I have looked through every catalog I have but can't find anything better

The only other option is an acid etch, like general formulations product, but that will allow neither side to see anything.

any thoughts?

I have white backed window perf that will be ideal for that application, it is double side printable perf and that will allow people to see in and the dogs will not see out. You can print a nice image on both sides.

Rico

I have white backed window perf that will be ideal for that application, it is double side printable perf and that will allow people to see in and the dogs will not see out. You can print a nice image on both sides.

I am interested but why would white on both sides be better than the standard perf? The perf I have worked with is white on the printable side and dark grey on the back.

I forgot to mention that the white dog silhouettes on the windows are very important to my client (running theme for her business) so if I do a white perf I think they will disappear.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I am interested but why would white on both sides be better than the standard perf? The perf I have worked with is white on the printable side and dark grey on the back.

I forgot to mention that the white dog silhouettes on the windows are very important to my client (running theme for her business) so if I do a white perf I think they will disappear.

Because that's just how it works. Window Perf has a black back so your eyes go to the light, when it's white on the back your eyes focus on the graphic. For the silhouettes, that's no problem, you will print a colored background so they show up.

Rico

Because that's just how it works. Window Perf has a black back so your eyes go to the light, when it's white on the back your eyes focus on the graphic. For the silhouettes, that's no problem, you will print a colored background so they show up.

Right so if window perf has black on the back and I install it on the inside, people from the outside will see the light, AKA the dogs, and the white graphics will show up as well. Meanwhile the dogs will see white of the perf and not so much the people. Why would I want to take the added expense of buying special d/f white perf and printing something that is already there?

Hey Rico, have Bigfish send you a sample and try it out for your windows. Sounds like the best idea yet.

see above. I just don't see why this product would be better. I think Bigfish maybe thinks I want to block visibility on both sides but I don't. And my customer isn't going to want to pay for a 5'x100' digital print.

thank you both for your replies.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There comes a point, when you either hafta sh!t or get off the pot. If your customer is pooh-poohing all of the normal avenues to do this, but still wants what he/she wants.... you must be prepared to tell them, it just ain't possible, unless you want to open your pocketbook a lot further.

Since restraints don't keep the people from tapping and touching the glass, but yet they want people seeing what's all going on..... just completely block it off with whatever method suits you and instal nice sized television monitors above the windows and let people watch the screens.

Otherwise, have her instal one-way mirrors and be done with it.

Rico

There comes a point, when you either hafta sh!t or get off the pot. If your customer is pooh-poohing all of the normal avenues to do this, but still wants what he/she wants.... you must be prepared to tell them, it just ain't possible, unless you want to open your pocketbook a lot further.

Since restraints don't keep the people from tapping and touching the glass, but yet they want people seeing what's all going on..... just completely block it off with whatever method suits you and instal nice sized television monitors above the windows and let people watch the screens.

Otherwise, have her instal one-way mirrors and be done with it.

Oh she is willing to spend the money; she spent $100,000 on a custom crating system for the dogs alone, this would be nothing -- but it has to work. I think perf might work, I was just looking to see if anyone had used it for a situation like this or if there was and idea for another product that might work better.

If some 1-way idea doesn't work she is ready to go with acid-etch. I think the idea of monitors above is a good one. She already has a bunch of them, so thank you for that.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Right so if window perf has black on the back and I install it on the inside, people from the outside will see the light, AKA the dogs, and the white graphics will show up as well. Meanwhile the dogs will see white of the perf and not so much the people. Why would I want to take the added expense of buying special d/f white perf and printing something that is already there?

see above. I just don't see why this product would be better. I think Bigfish maybe thinks I want to block visibility on both sides but I don't. And my customer isn't going to want to pay for a 5'x100' digital print.

thank you both for your replies.

I have the material you need for this application, if you don't understand how it works then call me. 714-878-7989 I am Josh, I can send you a video of what it looks like so you have a better understanding on the material.

rjssigns

Things haven't changed. OP comes here looking for a solution, Josh offers a helping hand and is dismissed.
Add to that the contradictory statements saying the client has fat bank after spending $100,000 on crating, but isn't going to pay for a 100' digital print.:confused:

I am practicing my critical thinking skills for the upcoming semester.;)

ikarasu

Why not use 1 way mirror, or something like it? You can get some non adhesive ones.

Fancy-fix Vinyl Adhesive Free Privacy Mirror Window Film: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

any thoughts?
Convince her to put it on the outside... then you have many more options. Why does it have to be on the inside? Is she worried about people peeling it? Dogs will likely scratch the crap out of it on the inside. If you put it on the outside you can do 2 way mirror, 1 way privacy... lots more options. Sure people may pick at it.. but I can guarantee you a dog will scratch it up a lot quicker. Even if they can't see humans...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably, what you or your client don't realize is one simple item, which you already kinda addressed.

People on the street will still come up to the windows to see in and while they don't care or know what the vinyl is there for..... the dogs know absolutely nothing and even if they did, they don't understand the mechanics behind it all. People will still come up to the glass and tap and knock on the glass, cause they can still see in, but dogs will most likely become aggressive when they hear tapping or knocking on the glass. They will probably be able to see shadows and slowly become accustomed to how the perf works and they will see more than you realize, so the whole shebang will probably be for naught.

You either need to keep the humans away.... or the dogs. One seeing the other will result in the same thing all over again.