• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for gas pump panels

gixxer2004

I have a customer who wants the panels around his gas pumps wrapped with vinyl. He is having them sandblasted and just wants them wrapped in white vinyl. What would be the best vinyl to use on them and would I have to laminate them since it will not have any printed graphics on them? The panels are for the most part flat. The only thing I am concerned about is diesel fuel dripping on them....most of the diesel fuel would be on the side which we are not wrapping but the front might get exposed to some from time to time.

Thanks!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We did some that were printed vinyl. 3M IJ180 w/ 3M 8518 laminate. No complaints as of yet. That was maybe 2 months back.

TSC1985

Not much that you can do to prevent against gasoline, there is a 3M Scotchgard 3991/3993 laminates that are supposed to prevent deterioration. As for vinyl I would probably use something with Air Release, any wrap film would work, I am preferable to avery.

ikarasu

We use 180 with 8518 on cng pumps. Not see if gas would eat it... I'd still laminate even without print. Vinyl is so thin it'll get damaged easily, especially with all the traffic / people handling the pumps.

Dumb question, but why not just paint it white? Itd last longer, look better, and be a heck of a lot cheaper.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You might try some 1080 wrap film, its thicker than 180 (3.5mil vs 2mil on the 180c).
From the sell sheet:
• Resists mild alkalis, mild acids, and salt
• Excellent resistance to water (does not include immersion)
• Resists occasional fuel spills

That being said we take care of a network of stations and wrap the pumps every 3 to 5 years with both printed - laminated 180c and plain 180c with no lam (for the side panels & crown areas).
Holds up well except on the diesel pumps. They are always dirty/oily and the graphics fail faster than the gas dispensers.
We use floor lam over the vinyl were the hose break away coupling hits the sides of the pumps every time they are pulled.

wayne k
guam usa

gixxer2004

Thanks for all of the information. Not sure why they wanted vinyl wrap instead of paint, they probably thought it was cheaper than paint and less work. They need to be sanded or sandblasted anyway so I think I have them talked into getting them powder coated. I will apply cut vinyl on top of that.

equippaint

They were going to sandblast them and you were going to put the vinyl over the raw un-coated metal? Sounds like a genius plan.

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
I've used both 3M 1080 and IJ180 with no problems. I do like the 1080 better personally.