• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Best vinyl for Gerber Edge 2 use

Will308decals

Hi, I've been looking around for new vinyl to use with my Gerber edge 2. I currently use Oracle 651 vinyl but I am getting blank spots/misprints throughout printing decals, so I am looking for new vinyl to use. Does anyone have any vinyl that they like to use? That works really well on an Edge 2. I am thinking Gerber vinyl (very expensive), Avery, Arlon, or even Mactac vinyl. Does anybody have any opinions on what's best?

Decals would be made for just everyday jobs, just labels.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Gerber films definitely work the best, but Oracal 651 and 751 work well 99% of the time. You do need to select a different vinyl in Composer for the 651 for best results. I've had good results by selecting from the Gerber Quantum 2000 palette as a substitute for Oracal 651.

Will308decals

The Gerber films definitely work the best, but Oracal 651 and 751 work well 99% of the time. You do need to select a different vinyl in Composer for the 651 for best results. I've had good results by selecting from the Gerber Quantum 2000 palette as a substitute for Oracal 651.
Fred, thank you for your input, will look into buying Gerber vinyl. How do I change the vinyl type in composer? Where do I go in the settings? I also just bought some convex vinyl for football helmet job. Do I need to change the vinyl in composer for that too? Thank you

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To change the vinyl palette, click on the Palette Menu Button at the left end of the vinyl palette on display.

Palette Button.jpg

That will bring up the Palette Selection Menu:

Palette Menu.jpg

From there you just select the Gerber that most closely matches your 3rd party vinyl.

Not sure of which palette would be the best substitute for Convex. You can ask the vendor you bought it from or just experiment until you get an acceptable impression.