• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Best Vinyl For Lexan Sign

daenterpri

We are making some large lexan signs for a backlit sign box. 117" x 60". The design is black with cut outs where the lexan will show through.

Since this sign is so tall, what kind of vinyl would you use? Is it ok to apply and overlap a couple of 30" panels to accomplish this task? Or, should I bring in a small amount of 60" black wrap vinyl for this task to do it in one pass?

If I do multiple passes of overlapped 30" black cut vinyl, will you see the overlap points when the sign is backlit at night?

Billct2

I haven't done a sign that large as a reversed black out face, but for the smaller ones I have done I have always used a cast black vinyl. They have always been opaque enough to work. Whether I would have a seam would depend on where the sign is, if it up in the air a seam would be fine, eye level seamless.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I'd use something like 3M 180mC or regular comply. Easy to lay down.

Either an over lap or a full 60" would be fine given that it the black. 30" will be easier to work with but then you have to align your cuts of course. If it was me, I'd use 60"

FYI.....if it was translucent a seam would be fine. Just make it about 1/4"

ams

Do not overlap for translucent signs. It will be visible. What about the retainer size? If it's 60" including the retainer, then print at 58" and the retainer will hide the unprinted part. Or else just tell your customer there needs to be a white border around it.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I haven't done a sign that large as a reversed black out face, but for the smaller ones I have done I have always used a cast black vinyl. They have always been opaque enough to work. Whether I would have a seam would depend on where the sign is, if it up in the air a seam would be fine, eye level seamless.
Do not overlap for translucent signs. It will be visible. What about the retainer size? If it's 60" including the retainer, then print at 58" and the retainer will hide the unprinted part. Or else just tell your customer there needs to be a white border around it.
I agree with Bill- cast black. There is no such thing as translucent black, no matter what the vinyl charts say. Black, by definition, is the absence of or complete absorption of light. Most of what the manufacturers sell as "translucent" black is nothing but matte black so it has the same surface sheen as the rest of their translucent offerings.
As for seaming or not- a seam is just fine, depending on how far away the viewer of the sign is. Considering the OP is asking about (basically) a 5' x 10' sign, we can probably be safe in assuming the viewing to be 15' or more, so no one will be close enough to see a seam on it. And, if you know what you're doing, translucent signs may certainly be seamed with minimal visibility (what with viewing distance and all)- though I try do them in one piece if feasible.