• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for stickers?

randypitcher

I've had my vinyl cutter (ADP2400) for almost 4 years and have only cut a handful of stickers. Most for my own use. I pretty much use my cutter exclusively for cutting masks for sandblasting. I use OraCal 651 and Anchor 116 for my masks. The stickers that I've made in the past have not had a lot of detail in them and the OraCal 651 worked fine.

Now, one of the non-profit organizations that I am a member of has found out that I have a vinyl cutter and would like to offer some stickers for fundraising. I figured that I could use the OraCal 651 that I have on hand to cut the stickers and that would be it! Well, first of all, I'm not used to weeding stickers while they're still on the paper. I usually apply them to my substrate and then week out what I am going to blast. Weeding them while they are still on the paper has proved to be difficult. I think it is because of the detail of the sticker. The OraCal seems to cut just fine, but the small font doesn't like to stay on the backing paper. I've tried using brand new blades, but the same thing happens. I've increased my down pressure with the same results. So, I think I need to try a different vinyl.

So, my question is: What would be the best vinyl for making stickers that have fine details in them. By fine, I mean the lines are about 1/32" in width.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Randy Pitcher
www.odysseyetching.com
www.facebook.com/odysseyetching

Jburns

I have used 751 for tiny letters, but 1/32 is pretty small.
I would try 751, weed the large portions, apply app tape, flip it over and weed tiny stuff off the app tape. I have done this for a few years with success. It is a longer process though.

randypitcher

The letters are actually about 3/8" tall, the lines that make up the letters are 1/32" wide. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Now I see why I've been using OraCal 651 for sandblasting, instead of 3M Electocut or 751!! That is some expensive stuff!! At least, in my world.

I will give both of those a try and see how they work.

Thank you very much for the responses.

-Randy

Kottwitz-Graphics

3/8" tall copy, 1/32" lines, that is way too small for any vinyl to even stay applied. There is just not enough adhesive to stay down.

You have to increase the size, or go with a printed decal...

And any true sign maker cringes at the word "stickers". We create decals, "stickers" are cheap things that kids get out of the quarter vending machine in front of the grocery store.

Bigcat_hunter

It's funny, everyone gets all in a huff on here when anyone says "stickers". Hell I have "stickers" in my business name so I am automatically a bad guy. I have never had anyone call and ask for "premium vinyl graphics" but I am still waiting for that call! Until the day comes I will still make them "stickers" haha.

BESTBLANKS

Vinyl Cutters for Sticker Cutting

I've had my vinyl cutter (ADP2400) for almost 4 years and have only cut a handful of stickers. Most for my own use. I pretty much use my cutter exclusively for cutting masks for sandblasting. I use OraCal 651 and Anchor 116 for my masks. The stickers that I've made in the past have not had a lot of detail in them and the OraCal 651 worked fine.

Now, one of the non-profit organizations that I am a member of has found out that I have a vinyl cutter and would like to offer some stickers for fundraising. I figured that I could use the OraCal 651 that I have on hand to cut the stickers and that would be it! Well, first of all, I'm not used to weeding stickers while they're still on the paper. I usually apply them to my substrate and then week out what I am going to blast. Weeding them while they are still on the paper has proved to be difficult. I think it is because of the detail of the sticker. The OraCal seems to cut just fine, but the small font doesn't like to stay on the backing paper. I've tried using brand new blades, but the same thing happens. I've increased my down pressure with the same results. So, I think I need to try a different vinyl.

So, my question is: What would be the best vinyl for making stickers that have fine details in them. By fine, I mean the lines are about 1/32" in width.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Randy Pitcher
www.odysseyetching.com
www.facebook.com/odysseyetching

Hi Randy,

Perhaps we can help. We are a distributor for both Roland and Graphtec cutters. We have many models that can cutter stickers. Please see these pages for more info.
http://www.bestblanks.com/vinylcutter.html
http://www.bestblanks.com/graphtec.html

We are glad to answer any questions you might have so please call us at 888-431-7385 when you're ready.
Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

Christian @ 2CT Media

It's funny, everyone gets all in a huff on here when anyone says "stickers". Hell I have "stickers" in my business name so I am automatically a bad guy. I have never had anyone call and ask for "premium vinyl graphics" but I am still waiting for that call! Until the day comes I will still make them "stickers" haha.

Its just elitist terminology, I dont subscribe to the whole if we call it "this" it makes it worth more. A Sticker to the general population is a decal to some and a premium vinyl graphic for others.

To answer the original post, I would avoid plotting items that small, its not that it can't be done its more of the vinyl wont hold when applied and the effort to create it will be too high for it to be profitable unless your client doesn't care about cost.

Hexis has a brand of "electorcut" called transparent. You should try it out. We used it to replace all the 3M electrocut we used to use. It's much cheaper and the same effect. They have a larger selection of colors also.

J Hill Designs

Hexis has a brand of "electorcut" called transparent. You should try it out. We used it to replace all the 3M electrocut we used to use. It's much cheaper and the same effect. They have a larger selection of colors also.

I just looked in my hexis swatch books, and transparent appears to be just that -- transparent, not opaque like 3m electrocut

I don't use 651 at all so I don't know about that. But I saw you offering electrocute as a substitute and saw him saying it was expensive. So I thought I would offer my alternative to the 3M brand. Hexis makes a lot of other vinyls also. So from the looks of it a Hexis Ecotac Plus E3000+ would be the Hexis alternative. It's a little bit thicker then the Oracal. 651 is 70 microns thick and Hexis E3000+ is 80 microns.

randypitcher

Thanks everyone. I just ordered a small amount (24" x 1 yd) of Electrocu (7126) and OraCal 751. If those don't work well, I will try some other suggestions. I appreciate all the responses.

-Randy