• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to produce this?

michsanford

I have a client that is looking to produce something similar to the attached.

The want everything second surface, and NO vinyl. They prefer it all directed printed on 3/16" acrylic.

How would I go about achieving the "dusted glass" look on my FB 750?

Attachments

• mill3.jpg
    mill3.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 335

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sandblasting it.....will eliminate the lettering which goes down first.

If given all of these restrictions, I would print the copy on the clear and then mask off the outside border and rattlecan a coat of matte clear, but evenly.

It's quite entertaining to have customers who don't know any better tell us how to do our job.

Printing to this and then putting an etch piece down on the back side would be the most cost effective method and the best looking method.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is there a good reason, why they don't want it produced the same way this one was furnished ??

It appears to be die-cut vinyl front side with etch on the backside, as you can see a slight shadowing effect caused by the vinyl casting it on the etch from the lights above..... or so it appears.

michsanford

Is there a good reason, why they don't want it produced the same way this one was furnished ??

It appears to be die-cut vinyl front side with etch on the backside, as you can see a slight shadowing effect caused by the vinyl casting it on the etch from the lights above..... or so it appears.
I agree, it should be produced the same as the picture. It will be on a vacation home in Cancun, and want it second surfaced, only ink, for fear of people picking at it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If that's the only reason.... then just die-cut in reverse, stick it on the backside and put a piece of etch over the back. Bingo you're done and no one can get to the backside and it's a far better product.

Mosh

Print it in reverse on clear, apply that then apply etch film over that, all on the back side (second surface).

AKwrapguy

What about acid? they make a glass etching acid that you can apply to the glass to create a frosted look. When I was messing around with it, it did't affect the vinyl either so in theory you could apply the letters, than apply the acid wait 5-10 minutes rinse off acid and you have your finished product. when dealing with the acid be careful and wear thick gloves and eye/face protection.

Billct2

Yea you could spend the time to do all the research on acid etching or find someone to sandblast frost it for you...hell why not have the glass custom blown...after all it's for a vacation home in Cancun, so if they're willing to spend the money sure it'd possible, but the original question was how to do it on a FB70 which it isn't and all other suggestions aren't acceptable for one reason or another so if you really want the job that bad see if they are willing to give you a blank check first.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd also agree. The example shown is not all second surface. You can see the lettering is on the front.

One way though..... cut the lettering in vinyl as a stencil. Apply it, paint the lettering in. Wait for the paint to dry, cut the lettering again this time using the vinyl letters as a mask and apply it perfectly on the painted letters. Then sandblast or acid etch the rest, peel the mask back off.

MikePro

if 2nd surface, should be acceptable to use vinyl. I would print on clear, laminate with etched vinyl, apply 2nd surface.
IF they're hellbent on spending more $$$, then paintmask 2nd surface, black painted lettering, mask again, paint with etched/frosted clear. can get cans of it at any hardware/craft store.

MikePro

noted, you will NOT get that look with everything on 2nd surface. ....there will no longer be that drop shadow-effect from having vinyl on face of plexi, being cast onto the frosted layer 1/4-1/2" behind it.

ChrisN

Do you have white ink on your flatbed? You could try a partial white fill to simulate the frosted effect. I'd suggest printing samples with a few different percentages to see what looks the best.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly