• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help BEST WAY TO REMOVE RUST OFF OLD METAL SIGN BEFORE NEW MOUNT?

dbeere

I have a job that requires me to mount vinyl over the backs of old metal sign boards because they want to preserve the old graphics on the other side. The side i am mounting on had rust on the edges and corrosion.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

equippaint

Mask the backside, sand, ospho and epoxy prime the side you need fixed. If there's not historic value to it, it may be cheaper and easier to just replace the panel and redo both sides.

papabud

Lone Wolf
you could always use a new panel and give them the old one to put in storage or display some other way.. maybe put it in a picture frame
i would say if the metal is good. get a stripping/sanding wheel for a drill or something and clean off all the old crap.
add a little primer and stick the vinyl. if it doesnt work. clean it a little more and do again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size is the overall area being used for your portion, with the rust ??

Billct2

Not sure I understand the question. You are going to cover the backs of some old signs so they can preserve the old sign faces?
Why not just replace them and put the old signs inside? I would also prefer to mount a new panel over the sign, a few screw holes is better than all the messing around.

2B

agree, use new substrate and let them put these rusty metal faces into storage.

if that is not an option, OSPHO works
DO NOT use on exposed concrete as it will eat away if spilled / dripped onto the concrete

or get real fancy ang get a laser gun