Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help BEST WAY TO REMOVE RUST OFF OLD METAL SIGN BEFORE NEW MOUNT?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by dbeere, Jun 4, 2018.

1. dbeere

dbeere Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Michigan
    I have a job that requires me to mount vinyl over the backs of old metal sign boards because they want to preserve the old graphics on the other side. The side i am mounting on had rust on the edges and corrosion.
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks

Tags:
  2. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Mask the backside, sand, ospho and epoxy prime the side you need fixed. If there's not historic value to it, it may be cheaper and easier to just replace the panel and redo both sides.

3. papabud

papabud Lone Wolf

Mar 7, 2016
    Toledo, OH
    you could always use a new panel and give them the old one to put in storage or display some other way.. maybe put it in a picture frame
    i would say if the metal is good. get a stripping/sanding wheel for a drill or something and clean off all the old crap.
    add a little primer and stick the vinyl. if it doesnt work. clean it a little more and do again.

4. JaySea20

JaySea20 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Bossier City, LA
    There is a product called JASCO that you can use to effectively neutralize rust. Check it out
    Jasco | Prep & Primer

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    What size is the overall area being used for your portion, with the rust ??

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Not sure I understand the question. You are going to cover the backs of some old signs so they can preserve the old sign faces?
    Why not just replace them and put the old signs inside? I would also prefer to mount a new panel over the sign, a few screw holes is better than all the messing around.

7. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    agree, use new substrate and let them put these rusty metal faces into storage.

if that is not an option, OSPHO works
    DO NOT use on exposed concrete as it will eat away if spilled / dripped onto the concrete

or get real fancy ang get a laser gun