• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way/tool to cut acrylic?

Rebel Graphics

My neighbor asked me to replace his vandalized sign. Light box is in good condition, all he needs is a new 2x10 piece of white acrylic with a full color print on it.
Sounds like an easy task for a circular saw, don't you think?

Kottwitz-Graphics

Or, why stress about it...why not just have your distributor cut it to size.

I've cut it in the past with a jig saw, but it tends to gum up, depending on the blade used, or a skill saw, and a 10' piece will need a straight edge...

visual800

as Kottwitz said, if you havent ordered have it cut to size. we use a jig saw because we simply dont cut that much I cannot stand acrylic

GVP

Have you considered polycarbonate (i.e Lexan) instead of acrylic? Cuts quite a bit easier with a circular saw and would be more vandal-resistant as well?

jhimes

Have you considered polycarbonate (i.e Lexan) instead of acrylic? Cuts quite a bit easier with a circular saw and would be more vandal-resistant as well?

Polycarbonate is the best way to go or you will be replacing them again soon.

Danny perkins

Dan Perkins
You can purchase a knife especially made for cutting acrylic and other plastic. Go to lowes or other home supply that sells clear Lexan or plexi glass the knife has a hook on the end. It doesn't actually cut, the knife is used to score the plastic the more you score it the easier it is to break. Saws don't work well because they rotate too fast and build up too much heat more or less welding the kerf back together as it cuts.

2B

we have tried jig saws and they tend to cause more issues than its worth.

currently we use
circular saw, with an extra fine finishing blade 60+ teeth, adjust the depth and make sure the blade just barely extends through the material
router with a straight bit, just make sure your router is adjustable speed and turned down

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We've cut miles of roll stock plexi with one.
Yikes! The thought of roll-stock plexi just makes me cringe. Worked with some of that stuff once. Just once was enough. Stuff breaks just looking at it. Maybe you're just loosely referring to polycarbonate?

Polycarbonate is the best way to go or you will be replacing them again soon.
In this day and age, I cannot imagine acrylic for anything larger than maybe 2' x 3' face.