• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Better Pre-mask machine

toomeycustoms

We are currently going though 1-3 rolls of pre mask a day. Masking by hand is too time consuming, we've tried the weber systems(too much time) and the Image one impact "pro roll", which is useless. We currently have 2 sheeters and they work good, but they don't work well for long items, i.e. anything over 6'. We are constantly masking decals up to 11' long. I've tried adjusting the tension on both of the sheeters, but still get the same results. What happens is it starts to wrinkle in the middle. We are using R-tape conform 4078/4075 and oracal 631/651. It is mainly happening with masking 30" oracal 631 darker colors, i.e. black, brown, dark green. I'm not sure if the backing paper is thinner or something on those colors.

I've thought of using our laminator, but don't want to hassle with loading up the butcher/kraft paper below and wasting all that paper. Does anyone premask with their laminator without loading the kraft paper below? Is there a laminator out there that has a teflon or non stick bottom roller so the premask won't stick to that bottom roller if the decal starts to skew? Or has anyone rigged something up?

CentralSigns

I have a Mosh special tape machine. Check it in the search function under Mosh as user and Tape as topic, or pm him for a pic

kanini

If the transfer tape is the same width as the cutted material you don't have any problem with it sticking in the laminator whitout kraft paper. It will be sticking out very much before it grabs to the bottom roller at all. We have a laminator always loaded with transfer tape and I think it's one of the fastest ways to apply transfer tape. Can you cut, weed, premask and then separate the decals?

toomeycustoms

I had pretty good luck using my daige 55. Ill take 500 for it if your interested?
So much luck you want to sell it lol? Thanks, but I already have a UStech laminator. If anything, I'd want to find a 30" laminator dedicated to pre-mask

EZY Taper.
Have one and use it all day for laminating and mounting prints, also removes the film off dibond like a champ.
I don't use it for taping, but it's made for it.
If you get get past the price, you will not regret the purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUw-6DFWv74
There's no price listed and doesn't seem to be any US distributers. I'm going to assume it cost more than a laminator. Looks interesting though.

I have this attached to my table and it works awesome for paper tape, I am not a fan of using the clear tape with it though.
http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller

That thing is not time efficient and we have a weber pre-mask which is better because it keeps tension on the rolls.

I use a big squeegie :0)

Markus

we've tried the big squeegie, but run into the same problems with wrinkles

31legen

So much luck you want to sell it lol? Thanks, but I already have a UStech laminator. If anything, I'd want to find a 30" laminator dedicated to pre-mask

I have a seal 54 laminator. No need for the daige. It sounds like you know everything already and have it all figured out. Why are you wasting your time here asking for suggestions.

Baz

I use my laminator for premasking often. It is great for running print/cut graphics through. Only wish they would sell 54" premask instead of being limited to 48".

11' is not long at all. I have been successfull in running a 50 yard roll of 24" material. Took my time linning it up at the beginning but if i remember correctly i scewed about 1/2 an inch over the 50 yards. No kraft paper required.

kanini

Only wish they would sell 54" premask instead of being limited to 48".
+1 and why is that? Does anybody make wider transfer tape, it's just silly to have to add the small strip on full width graphics every time!?

Baz

Will have to look into that.

Supplyers have always told me 48" was what was available. Mind you it's been a year or so since i "asked". will have to enquire again.

Thanks!