• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BIG 4'x12' canvas frame ideas

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Hello all!
I have a customer who wants a 4'x12' stretched canvas.
I have done "normal" size canvas before but I have a few question about this one.
Usually I use 1"x2" lumber for normal size frames but i wonder if i should use 1x3, 2x3 or 2x2 lumber for this size?
i like the rounded edges. I believe only the 2x3 is sold with rounded edges at Home Depot but I wonder if this is going to be too heavy.
How do I join the two lumber on the longer side? I was thinking about doing two 45 degree cuts and place them together like this \\
Maybe use liquid nail also. Clamp them together then staple?
I will have at least one, maybe two reinforcement bars on the middle and 45 degree reinforcement bars around all corners

What do you guys think? As I said I don't want it to weight 50lbs but it needs to be sturdy. Customer is ordering 7 of these. I do not want to redo them.

THANKS

artbot

I like building my canvases at a 22.5 degree reverse bevel (building two today). It's a compound cut that comes off very easy. The side recedes at a 45 degree angle into the shadows. Gives a very high end look vs. 90 degree sides.

Johnny Best

Hello all!
I have a customer who wants a 4'x12' stretched canvas.
I have done "normal" size canvas before but I have a few question about this one.
Usually I use 1"x2" lumber for normal size frames but i wonder if i should use 1x3, 2x3 or 2x2 lumber for this size?
i like the rounded edges. I believe only the 2x3 is sold with rounded edges at Home Depot but I wonder if this is going to be too heavy.
How do I join the two lumber on the longer side? I was thinking about doing two 45 degree cuts and place them together like this \\
Maybe use liquid nail also. Clamp them together then staple?

I will have at least one, maybe two reinforcement bars on the middle and 45 degree reinforcement bars around all corners

What do you guys think? As I said I don't want it to weight 50lbs but it needs to be sturdy. Customer is ordering 7 of these. I do not want to redo them.
You have to use splines, scarf joints, lap joints, dowels, or even pocket hole screws and use a good wood glue instead of Liquid nails on joining two pieces of lumber to make the 12' top and bottom pieces.

ProColorGraphics

I like the HD bars from Dick Blick. For the larger sizes, they have pieces that will join 2 bars together. Then just using the appropriate amount of cross braces. Always works great for me.