Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIG Banners!

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by APIM, Aug 17, 2011.

1. APIM

APIM New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I have a customer that is looking to do a large 3 foot by 20 foot banner to hang across a street. The last one he had was sewn on the edges and had sewn on extra vinyl on the corners for reinforcement. He also had D rings sewn in on the bottom corners. We only do double sided tape... is this a project that we can take on or have it outsourced? Any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You can buy a blank wholesale & letter it, or sub out the whole deal.

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    If it is going across a street, then I wouldn't do it with banner tape -- have it sewn properly -- check and see if there is a minimum spec for banners to be mounted over streets in your locale...

4. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Sub it out, those street banners can be a nightmare if not done correctly. Let me know if you dont find any MM's who can help you out.

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    What Bill said

6. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Why not print them yourself with bleed, trim them, send them to fellers, proveer, grimco, or any sign shop who hems, and only outsource the hemming..?

7. Tovis

Tovis Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I think most commercial upholstery places know how to hem such things. Would be a good idea to check local codes if any exist.

8. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    We have ours done by a company that stitches sails for sailboats, if you're anywhere near an active sailing community...

9. NEGD

NEGD Member

Jun 7, 2011
    my thoughts... :thumb:

10. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    I'm going to be a :threadand ask this:

I know a taped hem will not stand up to a lot of heat and can let go in time. Compared to a sewn hem with grommets and a taped hem with grommets, is the taped hem grommets going to be any weaker than the sewn hem? Unless they put another fabric in with the hem, I was wondering what made it stronger?

I have done pole pockets with a taped hem and then sewn over the hem and so far so good. I can see a pole pocket needing to be sewn but grommets????

Thanks for the input