• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BIG Banners!

APIM

I have a customer that is looking to do a large 3 foot by 20 foot banner to hang across a street. The last one he had was sewn on the edges and had sewn on extra vinyl on the corners for reinforcement. He also had D rings sewn in on the bottom corners. We only do double sided tape... is this a project that we can take on or have it outsourced? Any suggestions?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
If it is going across a street, then I wouldn't do it with banner tape -- have it sewn properly -- check and see if there is a minimum spec for banners to be mounted over streets in your locale...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Sub it out, those street banners can be a nightmare if not done correctly. Let me know if you dont find any MM's who can help you out.

HulkSmash

Why not print them yourself with bleed, trim them, send them to fellers, proveer, grimco, or any sign shop who hems, and only outsource the hemming..?

Tovis

I think most commercial upholstery places know how to hem such things. Would be a good idea to check local codes if any exist.

signswi

We have ours done by a company that stitches sails for sailboats, if you're anywhere near an active sailing community...

sfr table hockey

I'm going to be a :threadand ask this:

I know a taped hem will not stand up to a lot of heat and can let go in time. Compared to a sewn hem with grommets and a taped hem with grommets, is the taped hem grommets going to be any weaker than the sewn hem? Unless they put another fabric in with the hem, I was wondering what made it stronger?

I have done pole pockets with a taped hem and then sewn over the hem and so far so good. I can see a pole pocket needing to be sewn but grommets????

Thanks for the input