• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Big time newbie starting business making magnetic signs

Apachedesert

Hello, I'd really appreciate advice on a number of topics. First, I just bought an HP 5000PS 60 inch plotter. It is a monster. Is this a good printer to print on vinyl for magnetic vehicle signs? I know it's overkill, but I bought it with the anticipation of branching out beyond magnetic signs one day. Also, it has Adobe Postscript 3 on it, and I see this software is not compatible with more modern windows operating systems. Is is best for me to use a dedicated laptop with Windows 2000, for example? And finally, I am a total rookie at all this. I am a fast learner, but tend to learn best by actually doing it, as opposed to reading a manual. Can anyone suggest an individual or a class I could take in a week or so to learn how to make magnetic signs? I would be okay with traveling anywhere within 500 miles of Raleigh NC, and getting a hotel and learning. Any one of you experts, perhaps? Perhaps I could be a fly on the wall and learn without slowing down your business. I'd really appreciate help. Thank you, Doug

SignManiac

Mags are easy. Charge between $24.95 and $250.00 a pair. Warn the customer that they will destroy the paint on their vehicle if they don't take them off regularly and clean both the back of the mags and the vehicle. Contour cut with an exacto blade if need be.

Johnny Best

This is what I purchased when starting out. magdummies.jpg

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hello, I'd really appreciate advice on a number of topics. First, I just bought an HP 5000PS 60 inch plotter. It is a monster. Is this a good printer to print on vinyl for magnetic vehicle signs? I know it's overkill, but I bought it with the anticipation of branching out beyond magnetic signs one day. Also, it has Adobe Postscript 3 on it, and I see this software is not compatible with more modern windows operating systems. Is is best for me to use a dedicated laptop with Windows 2000, for example? And finally, I am a total rookie at all this. I am a fast learner, but tend to learn best by actually doing it, as opposed to reading a manual. Can anyone suggest an individual or a class I could take in a week or so to learn how to make magnetic signs? I would be okay with traveling anywhere within 500 miles of Raleigh NC, and getting a hotel and learning. Any one of you experts, perhaps? Perhaps I could be a fly on the wall and learn without slowing down your business. I'd really appreciate help. Thank you, Doug

Doug, congrats on getting into the sign world! The machine you have is not a good machine for doing what you want to do, its a great machine for indoor work though. Does it have the pigmented UV inks or the dye based? You can get a few years outdoors with the Pigmented inks and some lamination no problem. Your going to need a cutter if your doing decals so that would be the next piece of equipment to look at after you get a laminator.

OldPaint

NO AND *****NO))))) i dont even do MAGNETICS....... any more)))) will not work for $5......profit....... amazes me that people sell these @ $25-40.00. dont care if you print or vinyl em......MATERIAL FOR 2 - 12" x 24" from fellers cost......$10.......layout time and print/cut vinyl 2 hours....if you charge mcdonald's wages per hours... that another $15-20.....so now you got $25-30 into em..........rather stupid to sell em for less the $60-75 a set)))))
BUT......WHEN ALL YOU GOT......is to be the CHEAPEST............there ya go)))))

Christian @ 2CT Media

NO AND *****NO))))) i dont even do MAGNETICS....... any more)))) will not work for $5......profit....... amazes me that people sell these @ $25-40.00. dont care if you print or vinyl em......MATERIAL FOR 2 - 12" x 24" from fellers cost......$10.......layout time and print/cut vinyl 2 hours....if you charge mcdonald's wages per hours... that another $15-20.....so now you got $25-30 into em..........rather stupid to sell em for less the $60-75 a set)))))
BUT......WHEN ALL YOU GOT......is to be the CHEAPEST............there ya go)))))

Your Math is flawed on material costs, and 2 hours to print and install (That is slow!).... for $50/set (4 12x24 or 3 18x24) we make over 40% margin.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here we go..... another race to the bottom.

Do any of you realize, this thread can be seen by anyone ??

Anyway, we were selling them for $12.50 a pair [12" x 24"], until we came here and everyone said we could get $20.00 a pair, so we raised our prices. Now weez be doin' good. Um-um..................

Must be doin' 25 pair a week these days. Yew-doggies.................

Christian @ 2CT Media

Here we go..... another race to the bottom.

Do any of you realize, this thread can be seen by anyone ??

Anyway, we were selling them for $12.50 a pair [12" x 24"], until we came here and everyone said we could get $20.00 a pair, so we raised our prices. Now weez be doin' good. Um-um..................

Must be doin' 25 pair a week these days. Yew-doggies.................

Who cares when anyone can go online and search for vehicle magnets and find a multitude of online dealers for Less than $10/ea magnet. For us its not about making a fortune on magnets but in any shop there are down times where these can fill a void.

Billct2

yep, you sure stepped into here :ROFLMAO: Magnets are not a big profit item for most shops since on line and hack merchants have killed the market. Plus you don't have the right machine. So if you want to do something with that machine, poster printing is your best bet. Otherwise you need a new machine.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Just out of curiosity... how did you end up buying an HP without knowing whether it would do the job you wanted? Not trying to hammer on you, but that seems a little backward. As mentioned, posters and temp interior signs are your best bet with that equipment. And how did you come to magnetics as your main business focus?

I would suggest re-evaluating your business model for the equipment that you have. Maybe focus in on what the machine can do for you and figure out how to market it from there. I mean this as a sincere suggestion that you will be wasting your time trying to make money on magnetic signs, so choosing another focus that more closely aligns with your machine capabilities would be more profitable.

We all started somewhere :smile:

mmblarg

So this is an honest question directed at everyone else in this thread, not the OP: I'm a little confused as to why that printer would have trouble with the task. We print on vinyl, laminate, then adhere to magnetic material - sticking to simple shapes since we cut by hand. Even though the ink that printer uses may not be outdoor durable, the right laminate corrects that issue (minus fading due to sun exposure.) So why the definite "it can't be done" comments?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So this is an honest question directed at everyone else in this thread, not the OP: I'm a little confused as to why that printer would have trouble with the task. We print on vinyl, laminate, then adhere to magnetic material - sticking to simple shapes since we cut by hand. Even though the ink that printer uses may not be outdoor durable, the right laminate corrects that issue (minus fading due to sun exposure.) So why the definite "it can't be done" comments?

First question, are you using a solvent, thermal or inkjet printer for your stuff ??
Many years ago, we had an aqueous ink printer in our lineup. It was great for detail, indoor and other fine-art type fabrications. Using the dye-based inks, was a worthless attempt for any outdoor application. Regardless of what you do, even with laminate, it will begin fading within 6 months or less. With pigmented inks, you could get about 3 years with a laminate. However, according to where you are geographically, you were playing with fire. Using this solely with outdoor intentions is not good business, because you are basically giving your customers a 'Known' not good piece of production. So, while it can be done, it should never be used as a main source for outdoor signs. The OP most likely knows this also, as he/she thought enough to put it into the opening statement. However, he/she must be running into problems as the question then goes on..... is this a good printer for this application ?? Why would anyone buy a piece of machinery, not knowing what it can do or not ?? That is foolishness, hence the answers you are noticing.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

You are a customer looking for a magnet. You have 100's of options you could go with and 99% of them are done with inks that will last for 5 years and 1% of them do it with inks that will fade in 1 - 2 years max even with laminate. Which one would you choose?

mmblarg

First question, are you using a solvent, thermal or inkjet printer for your stuff ??
Many years ago, we had an aqueous ink printer in our lineup. It was great for detail, indoor and other fine-art type fabrications. Using the dye-based inks, was a worthless attempt for any outdoor application. Regardless of what you do, even with laminate, it will begin fading within 6 months or less. With pigmented inks, you could get about 3 years with a laminate. However, according to where you are geographically, you were playing with fire. Using this solely with outdoor intentions is not good business, because you are basically giving your customers a 'Known' not good piece of production. So, while it can be done, it should never be used as a main source for outdoor signs. The OP most likely knows this also, as he/she thought enough to put it into the opening statement. However, he/she must be running into problems as the question then goes on..... is this a good printer for this application ?? Why would anyone buy a piece of machinery, not knowing what it can do or not ?? That is foolishness, hence the answers you are noticing.

Ah, ok that makes sense (we use eco-solvent printers - Roland and Mutoh - those are the only ones I personally have had experience with, so wasn't sure how big of a difference the inks made.) Thank you for taking the time to break it down for me!

equippaint

I dont see a huge deal with magnets that only last 1-2 years. I'd honestly be surprised if theyd stick on the side of a car long enough to get a full 2 years of sun exposure. They're really a temporary deal and as far as I know, never intended to be a permanent sign. Do you sell "high quality" coroplast signs with 10 yr lam and point fingers at the guys that undercut you? It makes no sense. Just be honest about what it is.

OldPaint

2 HOURS TO LAYOUT/DESIGN/PRINT CUT......... whatever you have to do to complete the project....
MATERIAL COST CAME OUTA FELLERS CATALOG.......2016..... 2 12" X 24" MAGNETIC BLANKS.......$9.95))))) yes at $50 you can make a couple bucks....... BUT most shops will sell em for $29-39.00)))))))

OldPaint

MAGNETICS ARE SHORT TERM TEMPORARY SIGNAGE........never forget this............ 6- 12 MONTHS.......... NOT 5 YEARS)))))