• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

big trailer logo needs to be sectioned horizontally with overlap cuts

lbpalm

Hello Flexi experts!
I have a large trailer logo about 125 x 50 inches that has a contour cut applied to it.

Since this is going on an old, riveted trailer, I would like to cut it into 3 length-wise sections with two 1 inch overlaps for the 3 sections.

It has already been setup for a contour cut in flexi and I do not really want to rebuild the file which would require sectioning it and manually calculating the overlaps.

Does anyone know if there is a way in Flexi to add the sectional cuts without redoing the file with manually created sections while retaining the contour cut?

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

tulsagraphics

Group the artwork. Draw 3 rectangles and place them on top of your artwork (including your 1" overlaps). Select the top rectangle and the artwork together and create clipping mask. Duplicate that group and set it aside for later. Unmask the first section, then rinse and repeat with the remaining rectangles. Notice the contour cut is preserved. -- see attached example --

Attachments

• contour-cut.JPG
    contour-cut.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 192
  • add-rectangles.JPG
    add-rectangles.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 196
  • add-mask.JPG
    add-mask.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 199
  • duplicate-item-unmask-repeat.JPG
    duplicate-item-unmask-repeat.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 253
  • ready-to-print-and-cut.JPG
    ready-to-print-and-cut.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 154

HandsomeBob

Is this a cut vinyl logo (with multiple colors) or a printed logo with a contour cut?

Make three duplicates of the image. Calculate the overlap and cut through all the layers on each leaving only the items you want to print and cut. When done you will have three panels that, when put together, will look like the original image but when taken apart will be individual panels with the overlap you want. This could be done in an automated way but the good thing with this method is that you will have the three panels separate and if you need to remake a make you will not have to wonder if the overlap will be correct.

lbpalm

Group the artwork. Draw 3 rectangles and place them on top of your artwork (including your 1" overlaps). Select the top rectangle and the artwork together and create clipping mask. Duplicate that group and set it aside for later. Unmask the first section, then rinse and repeat with the remaining rectangles. Notice the contour cut is preserved. -- see attached example --
TulsaGraphics,
That is exactly the technique I was looking for.
Also greatly appreciate your detailed write up and example images.
Many thanks!!