• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Black shadow in perspective followed by a black outline

Marcio Gomes

Hi fellas, does anyone know how could I make this shadow on Illustrator CC 2017?
I usually copy and paste the logo and move a little down, but this way I can't have the outline and the edges don't follow the perspective. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    236.8 KB · Views: 279

bannertime

Add gradient to the initial layer. Add white stroke attribute, set it behind the fill attribute. Copy layer, add the initial black stroke to create the thin portion of the outline. Expand and merge it to make one piece. Copy it. Change it's position to create the thicker portion of the outline. Select both black shapes and then use the Blend/Blend Options to fill in the gaps between the two positions. It takes about 30 seconds and creates a pretty flat file. End up with only two layers. The gradient text with white outline and the black shadow.

Edit: Here's a little screen cap of the process. Been awhile since I've done this. I typically have an action setup for this procedure. Near the end when I undo some of the process, I redid the options with 60 steps instead of 24. If it's something I'm going to contour cut, I might just merge the two layers without the Blend and just delete points to create the straight line. If it's just a quick print job, then I just do enough steps to make it look clean.

Last edited:

Marcio Gomes

Worked out! I don't know if I missed something but I had to rasterize and image trace the black shadows to make the edges straight. Anyway, I accomplished the task. Thanks man!

AKwrapguy

Hi fellas, does anyone know how could I make this shadow on Illustrator CC 2017?
I usually copy and paste the logo and move a little down, but this way I can't have the outline and the edges don't follow the perspective. Thanks a lot!

As production person I would:
Type out the font
Right click and 'create outlines'
Use a white outside stroke to the desired size
Expand the stroke so it it's own shape
Use a black outside stroke on the white shape
Expand the black stroke and combine them into one shape

Done

Johnny Best

Like others explained..
Illustrator
type letters, outline
gradient
object/path/offset white
object/path/offset/black
copy black and drag for dropshade
pathfinder/unite black outline and dropshade

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 207

Marcio Gomes

As production person I would:
Type out the font
Right click and 'create outlines'
Use a white outside stroke to the desired size
Expand the stroke so it it's own shape
Use a black outside stroke on the white shape
Expand the black stroke and combine them into one shape

Done
I did as Bannertime said and worked well, Your seems more simple, gonna try too. Thanks!

Marcio Gomes

Like others explained..
Illustrator
type letters, outline
gradient
object/path/offset white
object/path/offset/black
copy black and drag for dropshade
pathfinder/unite black outline and dropshade
Yo Johnny, did you the straight line in the I's shadow, that's what I wanted to have in a perspective. Anyway, thanks for your help. Now I have three different ways to learn more. Best!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Main Copy With Gradient:
Type out the font and Kern
TYPE>CREATE OUTLINES
Copy "COMMAND+C"
Gradient

White Outline:
Paste in front "COMMAND+F"
Remove color, add white outside stroke to the desired size

Perspective Shadow:
Paste in BacK "COMMAND+B"
Use a black outside stroke to thicken black backer
OBJECT>EXPAND the black stroke and combine them into one shape using pathfinder
go to EFFECTS>3D>EXTRUDE & BEVEL - make sure preview is on and adjust as needed
OBJECT>EXPAND and combine them into one shape using pathfinder

Adjust Main copy and outline to extruded backer in case there was shifting...
Now go to outline and "OBJECT>EXPAND

Bobs yer uncle,,,

Attachments

• outlinegradientdropshadow.jpeg
    outlinegradientdropshadow.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Sandman

Anyone with Illustrator from CS3 on up is crazy if you don't but Old Stock Actions. This little plug in for Illustrator is amazing at making proper drop shadows, 3D blocks, inlines, outlines, split and gradient shades and fancy fills for letters. The various parts can be separated for cutting or printing and the great thing is it is only $25.00. He is coming out with his second actions plug in very soon and it is just as awesome. These plug ins will definitely bring your designs to a new level. You can get it here.
Old Stock-Illustrator Actions
Here's a demo on You Tube

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks for the info Sandman. Boring stuff putting all the extras on type.

Sometimes it's kind of fun when you're just goofing around. If you're doing it for an actual job, it's always annoying for some reason.

I also think it's neat how everybody does this slightly differently.

bannertime

Sometimes it's kind of fun when you're just goofing around. If you're doing it for an actual job, it's always annoying for some reason.

I also think it's neat how everybody does this slightly differently.

I thought that was pretty funny. I've always hated using the Extrude or any 3d function in Illustrator and I hate how Illustrator handles stokes on text outside of the "Appearance" tab. (i.e. using two layers of text with the bottom one having a stroke as opposed to using fill/stroke attributes that can be layered multiple times without cluttering the Layer tab) Lastly, I hate destructive designing. So the main layer is editable text while only the block drop shadow would need replaced.That's basically how I came up with my method shown.

Johnny Best

Enjoyed the informative video Bannertime, I agree with the 3d and extrude thing in Illustrator. I just did not go the extra step with the blending tool. I didn't even use the layers tool. At least the OP got his question answered in a good way and maybe he will have his own take on how to do it.