• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black / White Vehicle Chevron?

TXFB.INS

Have a fire department that is getting a new brush / offroad firetruck and wants to get the chevron that goes on the back to be BLACK / WHITE.in color
trying to save time by getting the chevron already made, instead of doing it strip by strip

Fellers carries the RED / YELLOW combination but that is all on the premade option found

sagesign

Page 22 of Fellers catalog is Avery V-8000, printable prismatic reflective vinyl. I used some on a wrecker, printed a light blue and white chevron to match the color of the wrecker. It prints very nice.

Billct2

Black reflective vinyl reflects white, so would it just be a big white reflective blur at night?

TXFB.INS

check out vehiclegraphics,net they have some kicka$$ products

Thanks, this site does have the Black / White combo but only 4" high, their sister site home has the larger chevrons

Page 22 of Fellers catalog is Avery V-8000, printable prismatic reflective vinyl. I used some on a wrecker, printed a light blue and white chevron to match the color of the wrecker. It prints very nice.

we have tried printing on our VS-640, it is always a hassle when we do it, which is why we were looking for premade.
if we go this route may try your material suggestion

Black reflective vinyl reflects white, so would it just be a big white reflective blur at night?

very correct, even went to the point of showing pictures of what black reflective does at night.
the .Fire .Chef really dislikes red, go figure, and refuses to have any on the truck

I don't know if this is an option, but if I was asked to do a black/white chevron I would try to use white reflective and then just plain black non reflective vinyl for the stripes. The whole idea behind chevrons is the alternating colors draw attention, so one big blob of white reflecting at night won't accomplish much. Another option, If you're doing black and white, it is already non compliant according to NFPA guidelines. So you could just print the black stripes on regular engineer grade reflective and it will look great and give you the ease of a one piece install.

CreatedDesigns

Have a fire department that is getting a new brush / offroad firetruck and wants to get the chevron that goes on the back to be BLACK / WHITE.in color
trying to save time by getting the chevron already made, instead of doing it strip by strip

Fellers carries the RED / YELLOW combination but that is all on the premade option found

The NFPA clearly states the colors red and yellow for use on the rear of a fire apparatus.

So it looks like the black and white is not even an option.

CreatedDesigns

IMG_5100.PNG
NFPA

The NFPA clearly states the colors red and yellow for use on the rear of a fire apparatus.

So it looks like the black and white is not even an option.

NFPA sets guidelines for fire apparatus, but they are not law. Many departments choose to take an exception to NFPA guidelines for various reasons. There are still plenty of trucks being made with different color chevrons or none at all. However, since they are nationally accepted guidelines, if XYZ fire department knowingly takes an exception and puts pink and purple chevrons on the back of their truck, and a car smashes into it 3 years later... a good lawyer could argue the fact that the truck wasn't compliant according to national standards and that is why their client crashed into it. Its not likely, but it could happen. This is why its best to stick to NFPA standards if at all possible.

CreatedDesigns

I have never heard of the NFPA as being "guidelines" these requirements are in the book for a reason and most fire commissions in each state will refer back to the NFPA. You don't just pick and choose what you want and don't want.

The current year books are usually not enforced for a year or two.

It's up to the OP to contact the Texas fire commission and verify current requirements.

dgerb

NFPA is a codes and standards body. They do not make laws. Standards become requirements by local laws and and pressure from the torts system. So you as a community do pick and choose which ones to use. The local legislation can choose which standards to adopt. Picture Colorado not adopting hurricane building codes. So they are guidelines until adopted into law. Or if you are hung up on the "guidelines" part, read the other part of NFPA! The pedantics will appreciate "voluntary consensus standards." I would call that a guideline. The value of Standards Development Organizations.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk