Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank lines in print

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by WestbankKurt, Aug 8, 2012.

1. WestbankKurt

WestbankKurt Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I am using a JV3-160SP and am getting thin blank/white lines in the print. I have checked media comp and that looks fine, I have done test prints and they are fine, all lines are present and none are crooked or broken. I have noticed that certain profiles lessen the effect but I lose bright colors. It has been suggested that heat might be a factor, what temperature would be appropriate for calendered Arlon vinyl? By the way I am using a Arlon profile.I would appreciate any constructive comments, ideas, or suggestions.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    it looks like media comp issue to me

heat issues usually run opposite the head path direction

calendared vinyl we are running at 35 pre 38 print

3. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    try a profile with less ink, or use a little more heat? Your media comp looks good but the ink doesn't seem to spread. You could also try adjusting the feed rate while printing to dial it in for this particular print. While printing; hit "function" and in there you will see the media comp adjustments.

4. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    you may also want to check and see if the profile Arlon supplied is indeed for that exact media. Gloss versus Matte

5. woahdude

woahdude Member

Oct 25, 2011
    i get that when i run duravinyl. i have to kick up the passes to minimize or eliminate it

6. mkubiniok

mkubiniok New Member

May 26, 2012
    I had the same problem with my Mimaki CJV30. In my case ist was the take up unit. When i fixed the printout on a roll on that unit i got the same white lines. I had to lower the power of the motor of the take up unit. After that my white lines were gone.

7. Masseria

Masseria Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Dont know if jv3 works same as Jv33, but maybe..
    it looks like banding for me. if this would happen to me i solve it like this:
    Without using the take up device:
    Press Function while printing(to adjust banding while printing), and adjust until lines dissapear, if still there, maybe clogged nozzle, if not clogged nozzle, maybe is media problems. so i cant help you there.

8. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    It looks like a media comp problem unless you are missing nozzles on your test print.

If you are not missing nozzles then its media comp use a scope to get it dead on.

9. bloobird0

bloobird0 Member

Feb 8, 2010
    France
    how do ou lower the motor power?

10. mkubiniok

mkubiniok New Member

May 26, 2012
    Enclosed you will find a pic of my motor....if you are in front of the machine, you can see it and you must screw it out, you can see there yellow lines which are an indicator...by default Mimaki sets the power on the highest value, useful for heavy banner material.
    But I often print vinyls and I have found out that is the best to lower the power.

Attached Files:

11. bloobird0

bloobird0 Member

Feb 8, 2010
    France
    thanks, I didn't know I could do that on the CJV30, I will try this as I also mostly print vinyl and always found the tension too high.

12. mkubiniok

mkubiniok New Member

May 26, 2012
    I had the same problem and had to look on a lot of pages in the manual until I have found it :)