• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bleeding edges on latex print

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
i am printing a backlit vinyl print with my HP latex 110 printer.
Printing onto GF231 overlaminate.
I have attached photos of the print. the starting edge of the BLACK only is fuzzy / bleeding out.

I have my onyx rip settings set at Saturation Boost.
I increased my saturation to 100% so as to get a richer colours (not faded and washed look when backlit).
the 2 photos have a light behind.
I have done multiple test prints and every time I increase the BLACK in saturation by 20% it bleeds like this.
I want my black to be as opaque as possible.

why does (the black only) keep bleeding like this?
If I do not increase the saturation on the black, it always looks washed and faded.

I don't understand. I am only increasing the black saturation by 20% (which incidentally, gives me a good opaque look) but the only problem is the darn leading edges are fuzzed up!!

HELP ASAP.
I need to get this sign out by end of week.

thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 20210106_151911.jpg
    20210106_151911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 342
  • 20210106_151906.jpg
    20210106_151906.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 272

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
How do I increase the optimizer? and 20pass is the highest setting I have in my profiles! How do I go higher passes?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Okay 20 is max. Then increase the optimizer or worst case limit the max ink.

You have to go to the printer and go to substrate Library, Select the material and the print mode, hit the little Pen to edit and go to advanced settings (or something like that). There you have optimizer.
I would go up in steps of 2-4. Maybe 4 units first and 2 after that if you see no help.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I go into the Substrate Library, select the vinyl material and that is as far as I can go. There is no more options!!!!

Am I missing something?

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
this is all I get. can't go further. see photo

Attachments

• 20210106_161640.jpg
    20210106_161640.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 265

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Ah it's generic, you have to clone it first. Then you can hit Modify.

From the previous window you can check from the Online search if there is a ready made profile for your media already.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
oh...I use this one most of the time because I can not find an ICC for General Formulations 231 OL.
once I clone it. then what??

Appreciate all the help!!

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
ok. I cloned it.
called it GF 231 and I was able to make adjustments as you stated above.

Printing now. will keep you posted.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
seams to be the same!! argggg
see photo attached

I was watching it as it was printing and it looked good.
I am thinking maybe I need to increase the heat????

It is only on the leading edges which leads me to believe that when the print moves ahead it starts to droop downward in the front of the printer and the black ink may start to drip downward.
This is just my thoughts. Let me know If I am on the right track!

Attachments

• 20210106_165356.jpg
    20210106_165356.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268

ikarasu

You're printing on an overlaminate and not a vinyl that is made for latex prints... Thats likely your first problem.

Next is you're using 260% ink. That's quite a lot of ink to lay down... Black especially, its likely laying down so thick that it's "spilling" and causing your issue. Increasing optomizer or slowing down the print isn't going to do much to help with that.

Have you tried printing at 16P / 200%? The material you're using might not be able to take 260.

That... or if you know how to manually change CMYK values in onyx...go change it to 60/40/40/100. It's a nice Rich, opaque black and may work well enough without laying down so much ink.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I would go up to 25 with optimizer then stop. Unlikely going to help even if you go higher.

Next option is to limit ink. Less passes or lower ink limit.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
You're printing on an overlaminate and not a vinyl that is made for latex prints... Thats likely your first problem.

Next is you're using 260% ink. That's quite a lot of ink to lay down... Black especially, its likely laying down so thick that it's "spilling" and causing your issue. Increasing optomizer or slowing down the print isn't going to do much to help with that.

Have you tried printing at 16P / 200%? The material you're using might not be able to take 260.

That... or if you know how to manually change CMYK values in onyx...go change it to 60/40/40/100. It's a nice Rich, opaque black and may work well enough without laying down so much ink.
I understand that this is an over laminate and not a regular vinyl.
I will try what you are suggesting and keep you posted!
Thanks

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Add Interpass delay. Too much ink is being laid down and not being allowed to dry/settle before the next pass.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I would go up to 25 with optimizer then stop. Unlikely going to help even if you go higher.

Next option is to limit ink. Less passes or lower ink limit.

This raising the optimizer to 25 in the material library setting of my created GF 231 media is what did it.

I finally have a beautiful print and vibrant (Almost opaque) black.

here are my final settings and hope this helps the next guy struggling with this.

I created a media called GF 231.
My print mode in the onyx software is set at 600 dpi, 16 pass-200
using "Saturation Boost" setting.

In Colour Correction tab I changed the CMYK saturation levels to 0-0-010 (Not sure if this setting is very crucial or not)

Then in the Gray/colour tab settings I increased the saturation level to 100%

This gave me a beautiful and acceptable result which looks good not lit as well as back lit.

Thanks everyone for the QUICK responses and help!!