• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blown Head...? I hope not!

okeesignguy

I am running a Roland 540V...

When starting a red and yellow print this afternoon I noticed that it looked "smudged"...see pics...
Did a heavy cleaning and that's when I noticed that my drain bottle was full...
OK....stupid as it is, I don't always "Empty the Drain Bottle" when prompted by the printer when I have to do a cleaning that way because I know that it isn't full yet :covereyes:

Well...during the cleaning I noticed the nasty black looking ink overflowing onto the floor from the drain bottle screwed to the bottom of the printer...:omg:
Evidently it was full...

The print was messed up BEFORE this happened so I don't think it is the problem however I want to tell ALL of the facts that I can remember...

That cleaning did not fix the problem either so we did a manual cleaning...that did not fix it either...

The printer is pretty old and I do most repairs and maintenance myself because we are in a very rural town quite a ways from any techs...
I replaced the heads a few years back and other than an encoder strip or two and a few other minor things it has been fine...

You will see in the pics that the cyan/black are firing just fine so the problem is definitely in the yellow/magenta side...

Any help given would be very much appreciated :) Thank you

20161213_165800.jpg 20161213_164229.jpg

bigblocktrader

I am running a Roland 540V...

When starting a red and yellow print this afternoon I noticed that it looked "smudged"...see pics...
Did a heavy cleaning and that's when I noticed that my drain bottle was full...
OK....stupid as it is, I don't always "Empty the Drain Bottle" when prompted by the printer when I have to do a cleaning that way because I know that it isn't full yet :covereyes:

Well...during the cleaning I noticed the nasty black looking ink overflowing onto the floor from the drain bottle screwed to the bottom of the printer...:omg:
Evidently it was full...

The print was messed up BEFORE this happened so I don't think it is the problem however I want to tell ALL of the facts that I can remember...

That cleaning did not fix the problem either so we did a manual cleaning...that did not fix it either...

The printer is pretty old and I do most repairs and maintenance myself because we are in a very rural town quite a ways from any techs...
I replaced the heads a few years back and other than an encoder strip or two and a few other minor things it has been fine...

You will see in the pics that the cyan/black are firing just fine so the problem is definitely in the yellow/magenta side...

Any help given would be very much appreciated :) Thank you

View attachment 117705 View attachment 117706

if you drain bottle is full it has nowhere to drain and can cause puddling in captops

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Always run a nozzle check and see if there are any defects when troubleshooting. In this case, I am willing to bet that your nozzle test looks good though.You probably have an electrical issue going on here and it's most likely the head. Usually in these cases I start with replacing the head cables because if they are damaged, dirty or corroded at all, it can cause issues like this. Unfortunately, if the head cables don't fix the issue, it's either the head or the main board malfunctioning most likely.

okeesignguy

Here are pics of the nozzle checks...
Why would some magenta be over into the yellow...?
FYI...it looks like the rectangle is "racked" in the pics but they really aren't...it's the pictures...
The yellow is very faint like it isn't getting a full shot of ink...??? 20161214_153215.jpg 20161214_153157.png

okeesignguy

OK...it was a blown head and I replaced it yesterday...
Here are pix of the head...you can plainly see "damage"...
Any ideas what could have caused this to happen...?

20161219_161824.jpg
20161219_161902.jpg
20161219_161905.jpg

GTSTech_1

Those scratches on the surface of the head more than likely came from the media guides not being inserted all the way or the guides themselves are bent. Either way the scratches wouldn't have blown the head.

You're Welcome To Contact Roland Support

Hey Okeesignguy,

No need for you to continue struggling with this issue. It's recommended that you contact Roland support and get help with this ASAP. We'll need you to complete our support submission form so we can create a support ticket for you. Go here to submit your info: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

player

Hey Okeesignguy,

No need for you to continue struggling with this issue. It's recommended that you contact Roland support and get help with this ASAP. We'll need you to complete our support submission form so we can create a support ticket for you. Go here to submit your info: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Nice form letter... This is great, but perhaps some human interaction would be nice.

What do you think caused the marks/damage to the head?

Joe House

No way to know for sure what caused it, but the most likely culprit is, as GTSTech said, the media edge guides.

Nice form letter... This is great, but perhaps some human interaction would be nice.

What do you think caused the marks/damage to the head?

Hello player,

Not a form letter, but we understand. Roland support does not provide tech support on user forums and that's why we included the link to officially submit your request to us. We can advise you properly once you reach out to support using our form. We look forward to your submission.

Take care,
rn

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hello player,

Not a form letter, but we understand. Roland support does not provide tech support on user forums and that's why we included the link to officially submit your request to us. We can advise you properly once you reach out to support using our form. We look forward to your submission.

Take care,
rn

Why doesn't Roland offer tech support on user forums? Its not just Roland either, all the machine MFG's should have techs on these forums answering questions.

printhog

thats a head strike.. happens in a split second.. something fairly rigid was in the way of the head and scraped off the jetting tape. i can see scratches in the metal ring frame as well next to the strike. expensive oops.:Oops:

Dakotagrafx

thats a head strike.. happens in a split second.. something fairly rigid was in the way of the head and scraped off the jetting tape. i can see scratches in the metal ring frame as well next to the strike. expensive oops.:Oops:

if it is a head strike why are the scratches not going the other way??? your heads must work differently than on the 3 printer I have had with dx4 heads