• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Blue Screen Of Death Win 7?

player

My Win 7 Pro has been giving me the BSoD. Sometimes 3 in a row. I can't trace it back to anything in particular. Format and reinstall is not really an option. I have tried to check the ss hard disk as well as the ram. I ran a program to check for outdated drivers and there were lots. I did update some, and I haven't had as much bsod but it did happen once in the week after. I am hesitant to update more because sometimes that's a mistake.

The pc is an i7 with quality components, 32 gigs of fast DDR3 ram, an 850 watt power supply and Win 7 Pro. It is from 2013, but I have successfully cloned the SS drive to replace it a couple of years ago using Acronis. Checkdsk come up with nothing, so does Samsung Magician (hard disk program).

Is it possible to use the saved dump files or the error messages to diagnose the problem?

Help?

Last edited:

visual800

have you been updating windows? why can you not format? do you not have the disk? I think a reformat would be best option.
If you do turn off all microsoft devices aka defender and whatever BS they have and cut off updates

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

This tool can sometimes be of assistance. It will read the log files in C:\Windows\Minidump which is where BSOD logs are stored and turn it into something vaguely resembling English.
If you can find the suspect file causing the issue, you might be able to work it out. If you get stuck, post up some screenshots and I'll take a look.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Can you run windows in safe mode for a while to see if the blue screens stop?
Then you'd know if it was hardware or something going on with Windows.
One thing that has helped me is to open up the box, blow out all the dust and reset all the connectors for everything except the CPU. Pull the memory and vid card - clean their connectors and plug them back in.
Just did this for an old XP machine that was blue screening. I need it to stay alive for a while longer for just one app.

Good luck.

WildWestDesigns

BSoD are typically related to memory issues (at least from my experience, one of the reasons that I like ECC Ram as that can be compensated and no BSoD in most instances). I would take a look at memory a little more thoroughly. Either physically or with a process that may be going on.

player

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

This tool can sometimes be of assistance. It will read the log files in C:\Windows\Minidump which is where BSOD logs are stored and turn it into something vaguely resembling English.
If you can find the suspect file causing the issue, you might be able to work it out. If you get stuck, post up some screenshots and I'll take a look.
Thanks I will do that.
I have found out there are some Microsoft Debugging Tools I am able to get. They will also allow me to read the mini.dmp files created.

What is the best version of .NET framework to install with win7 64 pro?
I have 4.0 but I can go to 4.8. Version 4.5x is recommended. I would hate to update it and screw up my machine.

My Asus motherboard bios in the Asus Windows software says there is a bios update. Should I get it?
I have updates to all kinds of other drivers available. Should I update everything I can or is that just looking for trouble?

player

Can you run windows in safe mode for a while to see if the blue screens stop?
Then you'd know if it was hardware or something going on with Windows.
One thing that has helped me is to open up the box, blow out all the dust and reset all the connectors for everything except the CPU. Pull the memory and vid card - clean their connectors and plug them back in.
Just did this for an old XP machine that was blue screening. I need it to stay alive for a while longer for just one app.

Good luck.
It has been stable for the last week since I did some updates. So safe mode won't really help right now.

I will give it a good cleaning and try the reconnecting as you suggested.

player

have you been updating windows? why can you not format? do you not have the disk? I think a reformat would be best option.
If you do turn off all microsoft devices aka defender and whatever BS they have and cut off updates
Yes Windows is as up to date as it can be.

I have this pc loaded with all kinds of graphic software and plugins, plus I use it for music recording and I have a bunch of recording software and plugins too. I have been using and configuring it for 7 years so to just format it is not going to happen. I will get a new pc and start with that first, but I am really happy with this box if I can solve this bsod issue.

Last edited:

player

BSoD are typically related to memory issues (at least from my experience, one of the reasons that I like ECC Ram as that can be compensated and no BSoD in most instances). I would take a look at memory a little more thoroughly. Either physically or with a process that may be going on.

My ram is ddr3. I did a ram check with Windows and it came up clean. I found there are more tests I can do so I will run it again. I upgraded my ram last year and I may try putting the older ram back in. I have 32 gigs installed. My old ram is 32 gigs but slower.

WildWestDesigns

I have updates to all kinds of other drivers available. Should I update everything I can or is that just looking for trouble?

Since you are trying to troubleshoot something, I would try to update individual and see if each one causes an issue. If do a massive update and then play around and see if if it was one of the updates (if any of the updates had any affect in the first place), it makes it more time consuming to find out which one that it might be.

player

Since you are trying to troubleshoot something, I would try to update individual and see if each one causes an issue. If do a massive update and then play around and see if if it was one of the updates (if any of the updates had any affect in the first place), it makes it more time consuming to find out which one that it might be.

Yes that would be my plan. I am looking into updating the bios. I see on Asustek site for my motherboard and bios there have been a number of updates, some of them fix system stability and others memory stability. I am going to update the bios and other things Asus is offering for my mb. I will have to be careful not to fLlck it up.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
When I was a computer tech, common BSOD was mostly bad HDD. Second would be memory or bad capacitors. Less likely would be drivers, viruses, overheating or poor connections on motherboards or perifials

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
What is the best version of .NET framework to install with win7 64 pro?
I have 4.0 but I can go to 4.8. Version 4.5x is recommended. I would hate to update it and screw up my machine.

You only need whatever version of .NET the software you have running on the machine requires. Windows by itself has no critical need for any particular version.
Most software usually comes with its own .NET update as part of the installer but some others will request that you install it manually.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
My Win 7 Pro has been giving me the BSoD. Sometimes 3 in a row. I can't trace it back to anything in particular. Format and reinstall is not really an option. I have tried to check the ss hard disk as well as the ram. I ran a program to check for outdated drivers and there were lots. I did update some, and I haven't had as much bsod but it did happen once in the week after. I am hesitant to update more because sometimes that's a mistake.

The pc is an i7 with quality components, 32 gigs of fast DDR3 ram, an 850 watt power supply and Win 7 Pro. It is from 2013, but I have successfully cloned the SS drive to replace it a couple of years ago using Acronis. Checkdsk come up with nothing, so does Samsung Magician (hard disk program).

Is it possible to use the saved dump files or the error messages to diagnose the problem?

Help?

player
i have had better luck with

https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

than any other software.

player

You only need whatever version of .NET the software you have running on the machine requires. Windows by itself has no critical need for any particular version.
Most software usually comes with its own .NET update as part of the installer but some others will request that you install it manually.
The Windows debugging tools says the .net version I have is a beta 4.0, so it won't be able to install everything. I will bump it up to 4.5 I guess.