• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Lettering Help Please

Sign_Boy

Hi all. It's been a while.
A client wants me to vinyl letter their boat. Does anyone here know of an "easy" way to figure out the curve on the bow of a boat. They want the name placed in the area that's red. Thanks!!

:supersmilie:

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 287

klingsdesigns

If the letters are not touching each other. Just measure left and right for heights then cut 3/4 of the way up inbetween each letter and apply that way so it slopes to the curve. We do registrations numbers like that all the time.

Sign_Boy

Thanks everyone. Even if I measure it I still have to account for the curve of the boat. (see photo - the text needs to follow the curve of the boat) Is there a way to figure this out without guessing? I must be missing something here and it's probably an easy solution.

Klingsdesigns - thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the name will most likely be in script with a shadow.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Curve.jpg
    Curve.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 259

papabud

Lone Wolf
best way.. do cut vinyl letters and manually curve it as you go
use a wax pencil. trace a line that matches the curve and align your letters to that

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just like vehicle rear windows, make a paper template.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
We will take a roll of old or crap vinyl and cut the lettering, weed and quick trim, hold it up to the boat an adjust as needed. Really simple and away to use up that left over few yards of teal you have laying around!

Scrap and such work too!

Sign_Boy

Thanks -

I like the pen plot idea. Only problem is the boat will not be at my shop. It's about 15 minutes away. This could potentially be a lot of back and forth with guess work.

GB2

Old Member
Put some transfer tape on the boat then mark the correct alignment for the lettering on it . Remove the tape, lay it out flat, photograph it and design your graphic accordingly.

Pippin Decals

Thanks -

I like the pen plot idea. Only problem is the boat will not be at my shop. It's about 15 minutes away. This could potentially be a lot of back and forth with guess work.

Ok. so here is a way to save those trips down to 1 visit.... This is also what i do,,,, I will take a yellow sticky note or a 8x8 sheet of paper Your choice of size is up to you and color will depend on the color of your work area you are applying to.) Place that on the vehicle,Boat,Door etc etc and take a picture of it square and straight on of the area the whole design will be going on.... I then take that image and load it into (Ai for me) . and then make my artboard the size of that paper..

I then enlarge ( locked to keep from distorting the image ) that image i took and make it to where the paper etc is the same size of my artboard..

I know that the paper is lets 8x8 exact so ,by making the artboard 8x8 , everything else in that image will be really close on for measuring curves etc. ,If you understand my process it will help you out a lot . I do this for all my travel jobs and has never failed me once.

Sign_Boy

Thanks again all.

GB2 - I like that idea as well.

Primal - Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that one. I use to do that all the time. It's a great way to have a reference to scale up to. Hopefully it'll work. The boat curves front to back and top to bottom. I'm guessing it'll be close enough.

klingsdesigns

I have not tried it. I was told you can take a piece of string and tape the left and right part. Make sure it is tight. Then you can measure the drop in the the curve and design it that way. But with boats its not usually a perfect curve. Probably would work better for windshields.

Marlene

I would take a dead on straight photo and measure the distance between the top of the arc and bottom. I'd scale it up and make my copy fit. Since you are doing script, it will be easier as the letters will be upper & lower case and won't show if you are a little tiny fraction off.

Attachments

• Curve.jpg
    Curve.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 185

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Before computers, when doing newspaper ads and other curves of copy for lettering, we'd just put some press type on a piece of paper, cut the little sections and make it fit whatever curve needed. It even works with French Curves.

So, instead of press type, use your vinyl on the backer with the application tape on it, cut it up, make sure it fits with a trial run, then remove the liner and stick it down, where it belongs. Takes about 2 extra minutes to do it this way.

The 'computer' is a tool and making them do everything when you don't know how, can be very tricky, especially when there's travel distance if mistakes are made. This will be only one trip.... there and back, so
curve lettering.jpg
cut the thing twice and make sure you get at least one of them correct.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It will, but it's much more difficult. I was going by his example. I didn't realize it was script.

Besides, why would you put a script on an arch ??​