Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat long line

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by msenjur, Jul 12, 2018.

1. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    hello!

im doing my first boat installation. it seems very easy, maybe it is for experienced guy.

so i have to install matte metallic blue line on boat. today i did one side, but im not satisfied.

i have to install vinyl and then manually cut lower edge of line... and here is the problem. line is not straight... i used sillicone tape, ussual tape, it seems straight, but when i cut it, i get bumbs, and curves...

how to cut such long lines? i cant use any ruler or something...

??

Tags:
  2. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    3M
    Knifeless Finish Line Vinyl Wrap Cutting Tape?

a photo would help

3. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    yes, but seller said it vinyl maybe too thick...

20180712_171914.jpg 20180712_171900.jpg

4. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    tomorrow i will try knifless tape...

any advice how to lay it straight?

5. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    You may find some decent videos on youtube for applying vinyl striping (pinstripe) to watch others techniques. With pinstriping I find its easier to keep my right arm stretched out with the roll in hand and look at the line going down to the left. Then maneuver the roll of tape up and down to follow the curve and gently push it down with your left hand.

6. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Another option is to simply put a thin pinstripe (maybe black) alone that lower edge to help hide the uneven cut marks. Even then, you'll have to be very careful to get it straight where you want it. The thicker the line, the easier it will be. Take a second pair of hands if you need to... long pulls like that can be tough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FactorDesign

FactorDesign Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Hire a pinstripe guy for an hour and have him lay the knifeless tape. I've watched a good pinstriper lay down a perfectly level line down the side of a curvy car in about 5 minutes while talking on a cellphone with it pinched between ear and shoulder. When you do something for long enough, you just get the touch for it. I think I switch careers too much, or at least try to learn too many new skills, to ever get to that point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1