• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat long line

msenjur

hello!

im doing my first boat installation. it seems very easy, maybe it is for experienced guy.

so i have to install matte metallic blue line on boat. today i did one side, but im not satisfied.

i have to install vinyl and then manually cut lower edge of line... and here is the problem. line is not straight... i used sillicone tape, ussual tape, it seems straight, but when i cut it, i get bumbs, and curves...

how to cut such long lines? i cant use any ruler or something...

??

msenjur

yes, but seller said it vinyl maybe too thick...

20180712_171914.jpg 20180712_171900.jpg

equippaint

You may find some decent videos on youtube for applying vinyl striping (pinstripe) to watch others techniques. With pinstriping I find its easier to keep my right arm stretched out with the roll in hand and look at the line going down to the left. Then maneuver the roll of tape up and down to follow the curve and gently push it down with your left hand.

letterman7

Another option is to simply put a thin pinstripe (maybe black) alone that lower edge to help hide the uneven cut marks. Even then, you'll have to be very careful to get it straight where you want it. The thicker the line, the easier it will be. Take a second pair of hands if you need to... long pulls like that can be tough.

FactorDesign

Hire a pinstripe guy for an hour and have him lay the knifeless tape. I've watched a good pinstriper lay down a perfectly level line down the side of a curvy car in about 5 minutes while talking on a cellphone with it pinched between ear and shoulder. When you do something for long enough, you just get the touch for it. I think I switch careers too much, or at least try to learn too many new skills, to ever get to that point.