Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonding polymetal to concrete?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Marie, May 16, 2018 at 10:46 AM.

1. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Any suggestions for adhesive (or VHB tape) to use for mounting a 16"x68" polymetal (brushed gold) sign to an exterior smooth concrete face? Thanks!

2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Why not physical fasteners ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    VHB foam tape & lexel or poly construction adhesive

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    Is this concrete new or old? Painted or not painted? Smooth or rough? If older, painted and smooth, VHB and construction adhesive should be OK. I would do physical fasteners on concrete no matter what but if you can't I'd be sure that the concrete surface can deal with adhesive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Creighton

Creighton New Member

Tuesday
    Phoenix
    Keep in mind your human traffic and pedestrian safety. That might determine what you're comfortable with if the sign is elevated over a foot traffic area.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. JTBoh

JTBoh Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Also -
    IIRC brushed gold will fade to silver in direct sunlight - I'm trying to remember how my brain thought this but I'm pretty sure it's a fact from sometime over the last 10 years.

source: brain

• Like Like x 1
  7. shoresigns

shoresigns Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    We use Tesa 7065 tape from Grimco for mounting metal signs on concrete walls. We've used it enough to be quite confident with it – no failures yet. It's strong enough that we warn customers it may take some of the concrete with it when the sign is removed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shoresigns

shoresigns Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Correct. Polymetal brushed gold will fade to silver in the sun, and is therefore recommended by the manufacturer for indoor use only.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    For hidden fasteners, I physically attach a backer to the concrete - then attach the sign panel to the backer using a combination of tape and adhesive...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Yes, don't ask me how I know this, I have to drive by my mistake every day...

• Like Like x 1