• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bonding Polystyrene Sheets .040

tier1graphics

Hi

We are looking for any suggestions for bonding adhesives that work well with polystyrene. We are printing realtor signs (flatbed) on .040 polystyrene single sided and then looking to bond two pieces roughly 24" x 28" togeather on the sides and top so it will slide over custom made sign stakes.

We have tried this before and the edges rippled and almost melted the material.

We have seen several of these signs around town but not sure what glue they are using to bond these sheets togeather.

Thanks!

Attachments

• LakeRealty.png
    LakeRealty.png
    657.3 KB · Views: 277
  • realtor sign.jpg
    realtor sign.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 250

Johnny Best

Try Weld-On 1802 glue for stryene to styrene, bannertape would be less messy but do not know how it would hold up with stryene

TammieH

Seems to me the failure rate will be quite high on these, what is the customer's life expectancy on these? I would not think banner tape would hold up during your hot summers and polystyrene breaks down quickly in the sun. Can these be held together with a snap on edge guard in conjunction with an adhesive?

henryz

Is there a reason for doing single sided and not double sided? if you need a ridged substrate use 1/8th ACM or .090 styrene. Like Tammie mentioned you are exposing yourself for failures trying to glue or tape the panels.

Johnny Best

He is trying to copy what someone else has, it might not be that material, styrene, because it does turn yellow and detiorates quickly.

Stella_FB700

We used SEAL print mount delta - its got outdoor and indoor durability.
We call this stuff "sticky shit" it works wonders for mounting things to things,
also works for a permanent hold for chemetal to acrylic for dimensional logos.

henryz

How well does it hold outdoor, I've thought about using it to mount wrisco to acrylic and then route, what are your thoughts on that Stella?

Stella_FB700

Pretty good, we have not had a failure.
Just make sure the pieces are clean prior to using it. Know its a pressure sensitive adhesive.
We use it a lot for mounting metal to acrylic and then routering after - works well for us.

tier1graphics

Isn't one layer of 4mm coro cheaper that 2 layers of .040?

(I know that doesn't answer your question, just don't get the logic)
Isn't one layer of 4mm coro cheaper that 2 layers of .040?

(I know that doesn't answer your question, just don't get the logic)
very very true. It seems to be a new trend that agents are using in this area which defies "Realtor logic" as the cost is more than double that of coro.

tier1graphics

Is there a reason for doing single sided and not double sided? if you need a ridged substrate use 1/8th ACM or .090 styrene. Like Tammie mentioned you are exposing yourself for failures trying to glue or tape the panels.
henryz needs to be two single sided sheets to create a pocket so it can slide over top of the custom made sign stakes.

Pat Whatley

Because coro looks like crap and higher end realtors are trying to sell an image...and selling that image works. Plus a single sided sign with a wire stake is the preeminent hack job in the sign industry. Cheap isn't always the right answer.

MEK brushed down the edges and quickly covered with the second sheet will melt/bond the two sheets together to the point they will never come apart. ABS adhesive (from any hardware store) is used for ABS plumbing pipe but works great on styrene. The ABS adhesive takes a minute to set up so it gives you a little time to make sure your panels are aligned.

AKwrapguy

Have you looked at Smooth Coro? I've never used it but it might work? If not what about laying down graphic to thin sintra, than sticking that to the coro on both sides. A little more labor and materials but might a little easier to work with and you have the flutes slide the holder through...

tier1graphics

Because coro looks like crap and higher end realtors are trying to sell an image...and selling that image works. Plus a single sided sign with a wire stake is the preeminent hack job in the sign industry. Cheap isn't always the right answer.

MEK brushed down the edges and quickly covered with the second sheet will melt/bond the two sheets together to the point they will never come apart. ABS adhesive (from any hardware store) is used for ABS plumbing pipe but works great on styrene. The ABS adhesive takes a minute to set up so it gives you a little time to make sure your panels are aligned.
Thanks Pat! Exactly what I was looking for.