• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boneman's Resto-Mod...

vid

A friend of mine has been working on his Chevelle for 2 years. To mess with him... and give him some inspiration, I drew up this car and gave him a few ideas for paint colors and stripes. (This was his favorite.)

Another year has passed and he's still futzin' around with the car. :banghead: His birthday is coming up so I thought I'd get him a t-shirt ...with some inspirational art. Please review and let me know what you think.

attachment.php

...I suspect that next year I'll be making a sign for his garage. So I might as well start now and ask for a critique for that, too. (It's still to be determined whether I make sign for his bar or a dimensional sign for the garage...)

attachment.php

I kinda like the simplicity of the "sign art" for the t-shirt, but as a stand alone... I'm not all that tickled with it. ...of the ones that I've polished and overworked this one works the best so far. buuuuuuuut my eyes are glazed over and my judgement is impaired.

Please thunk me upside the head with your ideas and critique. Thank you!

Attachments

• 101BonemansChevelle01.jpg
    101BonemansChevelle01.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 101Bonemans.jpg
    101Bonemans.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 91

vid

Looks great!
The only thing I might add is...
"As long as you don't need it this year"
:)

:ROFLMAO: sadly, I don't think that car is going to get done in the next five years. :noway:

This is his first "it can sit" project car. Everything else he's owned had to be back together by Monday morning so he could get to work.

It was a clean, original 283/powerglide when he got it. ...from a school teacher who bought it new and kept it in a garage. She used to walk to work and only drove the car 3 blocks to the school when it rained in Arizona. ...it never rains in Arizona.

He drove it around the block for a test drive, trailered it, backed it into the garage and has been tearing it apart and polishing the screws since. He's the kind of guy that has the patience to wax his cars with a Q-tip.

vid

I can't say one bad thing, sorry :(

Really? Since you're one of the gods of dimensional signs, I'll ask how do you see the construction of the letters?
I ask, because there are times when someone posts a project, I can see in the mind's eye exactly how something should be built. This one, I'm lost. I've spent too much time looking at it and need a thump on the head. (For reference, consider me an extravagant vinyl jockey that's not afraid of power tools. I design stuff and farm out the construction.)​

With the recent inspirational postings of Rogue Roller, I'm thinking I might actually get my hands dirty and tackle a foam/PVC-ish piece. ...Pointers?

weaselboogie

The red drop shadow bugs me a bit, but I can't tell you why. I don't know if it needs to be a hair darker, but its a minor thing. This piece is incredible ! Excellent work on the car! What prog did you use for creation?

vid

What prog did you use for creation?

I used Illustrator ...v10 ...on a 13 year old Mac ...until I was nearly drowning in a pool of my own tears because of render times. There's a bunch of blends and reckless experiments with most of the transparency options. BUUUUUT --- it has since migrated to the same flavor of current software and hardware.

It started off as a fairly simple idea. Do an rendering of a '67 Chevelle with a couple different options and the ability to change colors with a few clicks. Then it suffered the fate of "what if I..."

Aannnnnnnyway, here's a wireframe view of the work:

attachment.php

...and yeah, the bright red is starting to give me the creeps now that you've pointed it out. It gives off an orangey vibration, huh?

Thanks for the compliments!

Attachments

• 101BonemansWireframe.jpg
    101BonemansWireframe.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:

vid

Awesome work... You must be in demand for good design work.

Thank you... and :ROFLMAO: demand... sure? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ...at a motivational rate? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ...but that's an under the bridge rant best left to the defunct NHB.

I currently work part time on a 1099 (sub-contractor) doing assembly/fab/install for a a very small ADA specialty shop at a rate better than I've found for design.​

SignManiac

Really? Since you're one of the gods of dimensional signs, I'll ask how do you see the construction of the letters?

I'd build it entirely from PVC in layers.The black outline profile would be cut from 1/2" and I would v-carve gilbert, AZ there at the bottom. I'd cut the red background profile from 1/4" pvc.

RESTO I'd get some red acrylic and face with white vinyl or perhaps white reflective and cut that out as a simple 2D raised letter.

I'd carve Bonemans as a raised prismatic letter and affix that to a 1/4" flat pvc painted burgundy.

Would be a really simple piece to put together!

vid

Would be a really simple piece to put together!

See that? That's what I like about your work. It's based on a simple and elegant plan. I was confounding myself with borders and trying to figure out how to mask stuff for paint. The reflective is a nice touch, too.

Thanks for taking the time with your suggestions. ...

Jillbeans

Is it me or do the car shadow and the drop shadow on the lettering have two different light sources?
I'm with Weasel, what does it look like without that bright red?
Either way, it's light years ahead of anything I could do and it looks cool.
Love....Jill

Border

Having had a couple of Chevelles myself, I gotta say that drawing kinda gives me a woody...

Fantastic work!