• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought a plotter, software, and vinyl. Wondering where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKADesigns

I bought a S.W. Panther 24" plotter with the serial connection, desktop computer with LXI, got a couple clipart books and CDs, 20 18"x18"x24" boxes full of vinyl, probably half scrap, a good percentage of half-rolls of vinyl, etc. I thought I got a pretty good deal on the package, 2k, but am trying to decide how to get started. The equipment was new in 2002, and I was told it only has 10 hours on it. Its an older system, but I figured, for the package price, and the opportunity, why not.

I've already made a couple of banners for family, and find it pretty easy, yet there is a learning process here. Just put together a banner, and have some background in mechanical engineering technology, so understand the basics of how to put signs together. I will need to buy the recommended books on this site, so I can learn how to design small business logos. I understand that I'm probably 10 years behind the times, but I believe there are still markets for cut vinyl.

In my local area, there is a sign shop in every town already. There's one, in my small town in Iowa, called xxxxx Wild West Designs... the shop logo is a single color, and in my opinion is quite unappealing. No "eye appeal" to encourage customers to "come in and see what we can do for you" kind of place. That shop just started three to six months ago, and there is a shop in the next town, of about 1500 people, who does cut vinyl, and she says she's two to three months behind as of last November. She did it from her farm in the country for a couple of years before moving to town.

I'm thinking about doing door-to-door sales, have a booth at the county fair, maybe go to the ball games and sell some to the soccer moms, any input or ideas?

My goal is $500 a month in income from the vinyl for my wife and I. I haven't really decided on pricing, but I'm looking at $20-25 a square foot with a premium if it takes more than an hour per square feet to weed. I bought a sign from the gal in the next town over for $30 last November, it was about 4" by 5', so I feel that price range is about right.

I plan to become a premium member as soon as I get some money coming in from this. Thanks for your input and ideas!

iSign

:popcorn:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My goal is $500 a month in income from the vinyl...

..I'm looking at $20-25 a square foot...

...I bought a sign from the gal in the next town over for $30 last November, it was about 4" by 5'..

reminds me of all of our favorite questions:

How much is "a sign"?

which of course begs the question: What is "a sign"?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
well, welcome to Signs101. You are correct in that you may be up to ten years behind the times.. not in equipment so much, as you are correct that cut vinyl still has it's place, and can be the basis of a successful business if other conditions are correct...

My honest opinion is to seek employment from an existing sign company. You will start paying off that $2K asap, and you should easily be able to meet your goal of "$500 a month in income from the vinyl" while also learning the things that put you ten years behind most other sign shop owners... experience & knowledge, like you can't get on the internet!

Sticker Dude

If it is for your wife, maybe you should get her to look into the home decor (wall lettering) which is very popular in my area
If you are looking into getting in the sign business this is the right site but you have to have Experience in Signs if not these guys will bash you
so my .02 is Read Read Read this site before posting any other questions, If you are looking into make stickers like the flea market Good luck on here. Take it from me, I learned my lesson!
Price by the job!! not by sq footage. price to what you think you are worth for labor
Good luck you will need it Everybody and their brother is buying a cutter thinking they are now a sign shop This is not the business to get into right now It is just like Lawn Care, now every time I turn my head there is another lawn care business same with sign businesses
Ohhhh yea get a business license Dont do this like a PT hobby you will get in trouble

Pat Whatley

Ignore the posts about your price being too low....you make it lower and people will slam you for selling too cheap and destroying the market.

If your competition for cut vinyl is three months behind and you can sell cut vinyl for $20 psf please let me know where it the heck Souixland is. I'll be on my way there Monday and would like tell my family where I'll be.

royster13

I mostly do stuff the local signs shops apparently do not want to do....Small jobs, quick jobs, heat press vinyl, etc....And I have no problem picking up enough work to clear 1,000 a month at my "hobby"...

And I went to the Google School of Sign Making....You can learn anything you need to learn on the net......You will find some great forums like Signs 101 and others that are a little more suspect and 100s of videos on Youtube....By the way most of the best stuff is in the "premium" section of Signs 101...

Good luck......

iSign

...you have to have Experience in Signs if not these guys will bash you
so my .02 is Read Read Read...

Actually, "bash" is in the eye of the beholder... "Unique Decals" (aka "Sticker Dude") has been on the receiving end of what you stand to receive, which is fact based advise from ten or more years around the corner and down the road from where you are, and into what you can not see... he has seemed to shoulder a bit of a chip from the error of his former ways being criticized... but changing his name, his attitude (at times) and his business practices has probably resulted in a positive outcome resulting, in part, from what he calls "bashing"...

...so, take what you get, and do with it what you will... but remember that you have entered an arena where hundreds of sign business veterans will read what you ask, perceive how you handle criticism, and possibly help you in ways we never dreamed of having access to when we apprenticed, or worked entry level sign jobs to gather the skills you wish you had...

...so don't let one disgruntled ex-offender color your views against the tough-love lessons that may be on the horizon for you...

"bash" is a state of mind! :thumb:

HulkSmash

$500 a month? Oh sweet jesus, that would pay my electricity bill.

As long as you realize your rate for Cut vinyl is almost double what shops charge for
printed premium cast vinyl with lam installed and designed.

just sayin.

iSign

$500 a month? Oh sweet jesus, that would pay my electricity bill.
Going rate for cut lettering is like 6 bucks a sqft.
LOL

Maybe if it's a 12" letter...

Not if it's a sq. ft. of 1/2" letters...

Now your guilty of the same commodity mindset...

How much is a sign?
It depends on the SPECS!!! All of them!!

HulkSmash

Maybe if it's a 12" letter...

Not if it's a sq. ft. of 1/2" letters...

Now your guilty of the same commodity mindset...

How much is a sign?
It depends on the SPECS!!! All of them!!

i edited it to make more sense for him. Cause im talking about base rate. And then you add on depending on size, all in my pricing program.
you know how it is.

NO one will pay 25 a sqft for cut vinyl.

Last edited:

mark galoob

Yeeeaa. So u bought a 9 yr old set up used and paid 2k for it...doesn't sound like u even have written a business plan. Have no idea what your product should sell for but already bought ur magic 9 yr old setup for that product. Every sign shop around u is failing or extremely new...wonder why

Personally I think u have a goldmine. Next u need a shop to do business out of. Hope u do more due diligence on that. Come on dude. This is why business fail.

I could go on and on but I think u get the idea. Or maybe not ie see above

Mark galoob

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA......................................

Pinch me............ this has got to be a joke or someone playing a mean trick. :Oops:​

Sticker Dude

Actually, "bash" is in the eye of the beholder... "Unique Decals" (aka "Sticker Dude") has been on the receiving end of what you stand to receive, which is fact based advise from ten or more years around the corner and down the road from where you are, and into what you can not see... he has seemed to shoulder a bit of a chip from the error of his former ways being criticized... but changing his name, his attitude (at times) and his business practices has probably resulted in a positive outcome resulting, in part, from what he calls "bashing"...

...so, take what you get, and do with it what you will... but remember that you have entered an arena where hundreds of sign business veterans will read what you ask, perceive how you handle criticism, and possibly help you in ways we never dreamed of having access to when we apprenticed, or worked entry level sign jobs to gather the skills you wish you had...

...so don't let one disgruntled ex-offender color your views against the tough-love lessons that may be on the horizon for you...

"bash" is a state of mind! :thumb:

Isign you still are going to bust my F-ing balls for Unique Decals I dont know how many times I said that my brother in law (god rest his soul) had Unique Decals and when he pasted I took over what he was doing Yes I changed the name mainly because he dies Thanks again for your professionalism So maybe when it happens to you you can walk in my shoes then .

andy

If I pull my 24" Chinese cutter out of the skip and give it a wipe will anyone offer me 2 grand for it? It's 8 years newer than the OP's machine BTW.

I've got a couple of ancient clipart CD's somewhere which you can have.... the rubbish bins upstairs are pretty full... I'll pull out all the vinyl scraps and box em up for you... no, don't thank me.... it's alll part of the service.

If you want the 48"er I'll need more money... it's a bit heavier so it'll take longer to haul out of the skip..... 4 grand sounds fair.

As far as the software goes... I'll sell it to you for £100... or you can buy a brand new copy yourself for £25... it's up to you.

Joking aside...

I'm amazed that ANYONE paid 2 grand for a 9 year old machine... a generic Chinese machine at that. If you want a DECENT vinyl cutter there's an antique Gerber 4B on Ebay for 500 quid... with THREE font cards... I'd swap this over priced grandfather clock for ANY brand new Chinese machine without a second thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.