• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought a recond 9020 Dell and have a ? on the drive please

Gene@mpls

I alway buy from Dell Outlet and have had good luck. I needed one more Win7pro to replace the computers that go on the internet and thought...
hell I need a better puter for myself... so I bought a 4th gen i7 9020 Optiplex with a lot of extra stuff on it. I have a half dozen Win7pros with i3 and i5
which work fine for what we do- but I am getting into 3D programs and have Vectric Aspire etc and have been running out of memory (the computer as
well as in my head). Anyway it showed up Friday so I am playing with it this weekend.
The question is: the build sheet shows a 500GB 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s with 16MB DataBurst Cache, and the two drives are exactly the same and not this
drive as far as I can tell. They are 7200rpm drives so I am sure they will be fine... but what is the difference and is it worth calling Dell about? I know there
are hybrid drives and was hoping for something like that but I can't find much on this drive. Thanks Gene

Gene@mpls

The spec sheet calls out one 500GB 3.5 Inch SATA drive and one 500GB 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s with 16MB DataBurst Cache. In the actual puter they are both Toshiba DT01ACA050 drives- I am wondering what the '16MB DataBurst Cache' means? If it is significantly better I will see if they will send me one. Thanks Gene

choucove

Both of the hard drives are probably identical drives. The 16 MB of cache is just listing the amount of onboard cache that is on the hard drive. Most all hard drives have some small bit of onboard cache, and 16 MB is actually pretty measly compared to most modern SATA 6 Gbps hard drives (many come with 64 MB now) but with these lines of computers they do use the cheapest drives available in general.

Techman

databurst Cache is a DELL term,

They install any drive they want with any cache they want and call it databurst cache.

If they installed two toshiba drives with some cache in them they will add the term Databurst cache as a marketing enhancement..

Drives come with cache,, some with more some with less. More is good. So I wouldn't panic if the spec sheet does not say DataBurst on it.
If the drive says cache it has "DataBurst".

Those drives on the spec sheet are 500 gigs with 32 mb cache. So you have what was sold to you. ITs a good deal.