Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Box around drop shadow on prints

Discussion in 'Roland' started by signguy35, Sep 4, 2012.

1. signguy35

signguy35 Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Iowa
    I have just noticed this in the last two things i have printed. on a banner i had a drop shadow under the main name on the banner. after i printed it i noticed a box around the drop shadowed part. it seems to make whatever is in the box a lighter color.

Also when i have been trying to flatten transparency i get a white box around the part that is flattened. ive tried looking up what is causing this but i have yet to find a answer to help.

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    rasterize the whole design...or you can try setting your rendering intents to be the same for raster and vector data - this is ultimately caused by 'spot color over transparency'

3. signguy35

signguy35 Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Iowa
    Illustrator CS5

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    That's an Illustrator glitch. As mentioned - you need to rasterize anything that uses the filters in Illy. Versaworks doesn't like the way Adobe defines transparent areas of an image.

5. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Not 100% sure this was the right way to fix this but when you do flatten and rasterize there is a box with "Preserve Spot Colors".
    Do not have this checked. I was having the same issues and this fixed it for me.

May create issues for cut files but for just printing it was ok.

6. Mike F

Mike F Active Member

May 11, 2011
    Are you using Versaworks as your RIP, and if so, are you using Max Impact for your color management settings? If you're using Max Impact that could be doing it, try it with Prepress US.

7. signguy35

signguy35 Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Iowa
    im am using prepress US. I was just pmed from a guy saying i should use Glaussian Blur instead of a drop shadow. copy text to where i want the shadow to be and then use the blur. it looks good to me but i havent printed with it yet. anybody use this instead?

8. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have noticed that graphic agencies seem to use this method. Personally, your issue isn't something I run into all that often, but I think it may have to do with your ICC profiles?...