• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box around drop shadow on prints

signguy35

I have just noticed this in the last two things i have printed. on a banner i had a drop shadow under the main name on the banner. after i printed it i noticed a box around the drop shadowed part. it seems to make whatever is in the box a lighter color.

Also when i have been trying to flatten transparency i get a white box around the part that is flattened. ive tried looking up what is causing this but i have yet to find a answer to help.

Thanks.

J Hill Designs

rasterize the whole design...or you can try setting your rendering intents to be the same for raster and vector data - this is ultimately caused by 'spot color over transparency'

Bigdawg

Just Me
That's an Illustrator glitch. As mentioned - you need to rasterize anything that uses the filters in Illy. Versaworks doesn't like the way Adobe defines transparent areas of an image.

sfr table hockey

Not 100% sure this was the right way to fix this but when you do flatten and rasterize there is a box with "Preserve Spot Colors".
Do not have this checked. I was having the same issues and this fixed it for me.

May create issues for cut files but for just printing it was ok.

Mike F

Are you using Versaworks as your RIP, and if so, are you using Max Impact for your color management settings? If you're using Max Impact that could be doing it, try it with Prepress US.

signguy35

im am using prepress US. I was just pmed from a guy saying i should use Glaussian Blur instead of a drop shadow. copy text to where i want the shadow to be and then use the blur. it looks good to me but i havent printed with it yet. anybody use this instead?

peavey123

im am using prepress US. I was just pmed from a guy saying i should use Glaussian Blur instead of a drop shadow. copy text to where i want the shadow to be and then use the blur. it looks good to me but i havent printed with it yet. anybody use this instead?

I have noticed that graphic agencies seem to use this method. Personally, your issue isn't something I run into all that often, but I think it may have to do with your ICC profiles?...