• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box Truck install question

pixeltim

I have a couple of box trucks to finish up and I used scaffolding to be able to reach everything on the sides and back, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the front of the box that's right behind and above the cab. I don't think that climbing on the cab itself would be a good idea, I think I'd cave it in.
Any thoughts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably put a step ladder on each side, strike a chalk line and two people hold from end to end and just stretch to squeegee the middle down.

I've already put a board on the top to distribute my weight and went from there, Indian style. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with that. :toasting:

unclebun

My employee is small. He just gets on the roof and does it. If the roof dents in, you just push it back up from inside the truck.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I help a guy get it setup and level then walk away and tell him to do it. The GMC van bodies seem to cave in the easiest.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Years ago we had to wrap the front of a couple of those. I used a step ladder on each side and rigged up a frame w/ 4x4's and a platform that sat just above the roof.

In hindsight, it was pretty sketchy...especially since I was mostly working over the weekend in the shop alone. But I got it done and didn't break my neck, so that's always a bonus!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just did one last month and I carefully climbed on top to make sure it held my weight then just sat Indian style. I had it installed in no time. Otherwise I would also use 2 ladders and a board.

brdesign

It helps if you can find a tall 6 foot + skinny teenager to install that part. They can just sit on the middle of the roof and reach the entire front section. I have also heard of shops building their own custom scaffold they can just drive the cab under

Medina Signs

Old Member
I have a couple of box trucks to finish up and I used scaffolding to be able to reach everything on the sides and back, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the front of the box that's right behind and above the cab. I don't think that climbing on the cab itself would be a good idea, I think I'd cave it in.
Any thoughts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is how we do it - see pic

Attachments

• Platform.jpg
    Platform.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 157

unclebun

We use a walkboard like that and ladders to do the sides of box trucks and semis. We use it on some other installation jobs like putting Gemini letters up on inside walls of stores and offices. Definitely not a one-time use item.