• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box Truck Wrap Issue?

landdesigns

I'm having an issue when applying a partial wrap on a Box Truck that has a flat surface with rivets, the print is 72" wide and 90" high. I made the wrap in three pieces each 24 "wide since I have the Roland vp300 and 28" is about the largest I can go. I hinged each peice from the top and applied it from top to the bottom. The issue that occurs is when I get 2ft to 3ft from the bottom the print becomes distorted, wrinkled and it dosn't line up right. Im using the a squeege going left to right applying the print and have tried a few different ways but I end up with same result.

I'm using Oracal 3195ra and 290 laminate, but I think it's the way Im applying the print or maybe the print is to long with the rivets on the truck. I'm looking for some advice or applying tips. Im seriously thinking of attending a wrap school to help me out.

Thanks So Much!:glasses:
Todd

are you applying over the rivets or have you taken the rivets out? are you stretching or pulling the print when you are handling it whilst squeeging the print?

speedmedia

You must be pulling on the print, it isn't hard to pull on it and not know it doesn't take much. I'd be willing to bet that is the issue, as I had this back when I first started as well.

Thanks,
Kurt

landdesigns

The rivets can't be removed, I find myself pulling on it slightly, I roll the print when applying the print and removing the backing paper. Do you guys use the squeege horizontaly or vertical while applying?

NEGD

I'm using Oracal 3195ra and 290 laminate,

Do you have it premasked? I'm not an installer, but I've heard a few installers with less experience that prefer the print premasked. I think it helps with the stretching issue. Just a thought.

Allied Digital

Do you have it premasked? I'm not an installer, but I've heard a few installers with less experience that prefer the print premasked. I think it helps with the stretching issue. Just a thought.
agreed - masking it can really help - especially if it is loaded with ink - it wants to stretch.

jimmeth411

If you find yourself getting alot of wraps, definitely attend a wrap school. I took the Oracal course a few years ago, and it helped tremendously. Highly recommended IMO

Signed Out

watch youtube videos on wrapping, +1 on premask, we hinge about a third of the way down from the top and go up first then down

yukon

I would Hinge from mid way up, not the top. This would help shorten the distance and the possibility of a misalignment happening.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Generally one would look for advice or a "wrap school" BEFORE they start wrapping. There are many things going on...with a "simple" box truck. 1st of all...using such narrow strips allows for more mis-alignments. Rivets are definately objects that effect the install if you don't attack them right. The print will also stretch a little as you go down...so make sure you do each panel the same. I think you mean 3951 RA..not 3195.
I'm sure the rest of the guys just didn't have anything nice to say...so they said nothing at all to this post.

petepaz

I would Hinge from mid way up, not the top. This would help shorten the distance and the possibility of a misalignment happening.
i have noticed that if i hinge in the middle and have a shorter distance to cover i get less stretch/pulling levaing a better line up