• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brass

Dropout

Hi All

Is there a preferred type of brass for routering/engraving. I need to quote on about 60 plaques size 13 by 4 inches. They will need to be plated afterwards.

Any advice is welcome.

:thankyou:in advance.

SqueeGee

I'd love to hear how that goes. We have a CNC but always use Gemini for plaques. I've never thought of doing it ourselves. Please keep us updated.

astro8

We do a lot of brass plates/plaques on the router and engraver.

Cut them out and drill holes with the router, sometimes engrave them with the router as well as the engraver.

CanuckSigns

"leaded" brass engraves MUCH nicer than regular brass, we find the regular stuff leaves burrs on the edges of the lettering on our rotary engraver.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
1mm...? we use only 3mm, and keep a sheet or two of the 2000 x 600 size engraver's brass on hand.
My experience with thinner stuff is the headaches & gremlins that sneak in are not worth the minor substrate cost saving- besides a plaque in real brass, as opposed to gold-coloured aluminium, looks better with some gutsy depth to it.

Chrome plating the plaque afterwards? yuk!
We chrome plate brass horse harness elements, but a plaque is different. They're meant to be read - a message understood - as opposed to being 'pretty bling'.