• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Break Points

ThatGuy

For those that price printed graphics by the square foot........

Do have break points? Do you have a price for 1-10 sqft, a lower price for 11-25 sqft? I am not asking for prices. I am just trying to simplify our pricing and thinking about square feet for certain products. If you do use break points, what are they and why?

crny1

For those that price printed graphics by the square foot........

Do have break points? Do you have a price for 1-10 sqft, a lower price for 11-25 sqft? I am not asking for prices. I am just trying to simplify our pricing and thinking about square feet for certain products. If you do use break points, what are they and why?

Not saying its correct but everything I do is by the sq ft with no breaks. Most of our jobs are 600+ sq ft.

equippaint

We do smaller warning type decals and price by sq in and qty breaks which is more because of the sunk time involved in doing 1 or 500. It may be easier to price it as 2 functions (combined of course) like 1-2 hours to sit at the printer, load material, remove it and laminate it or whatever it takes you no matter how big or small the job is within reason, almost like an overhead allocation. Then a price on sq footage which accounts for waiting time, ink and materials. Don't account for time saved by printing multiple things at once, treat it like its the only thing you have to do in case it is. Then keep the efficiency as extra profit. Rush jobs and one off things wont be as annoying at that point too because you're getting a rate that you should without ganging up jobs.

equippaint

I will add this since Im very bad at making clear points and better at analogies. When we sandblast small items, it may take 15 mins to do it. No matter what, it takes about 30-45 mins to suit up, check the oil in the compressor, put sand in the pot, put the helmet on, blow it off, take the suit off, walk back from our blast bay etc. So a 20 min job isnt 20 mins, its an hour and we charge accordingly. Same with printing. You have to account for that and its easier to separate it.
They sell timers for blasters (which is like strictly charging by sq ft) which I think is the absolute dumbest thing on the face of the earth but many companies use them and only charge for actual blast time. I guess they eat moving the hoses around, the stopping and starting on intricate jobs etc. Crane companies are the great at getting their time, its x hour minimum plus plus plus. If its a 5 min lift so what? Time is money so catch it.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly