• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Broken JV3 160s and my quest to make it run again

Hello everyone,

I´ve been a constant reader of posts from this forum, and I´ve found a lot of information that has helped me a lot.

Long story short, just bought a jv3 160s on ebay about one month ago, listed as printing condition, when it arrived it was totally destroyed.

I´ll be posting pictures of how I received the machine and the procedures I´ve been making to hopefully make it run again. (Today it´s still not running)

If at least 1 person finds this post useful, I´ve returned a little part from all the knowledge I´ve gained in Signs101.

Thanks you all.

Attachments

• tecnico1.jpg
    tecnico1.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 178
On arrival

Some more pictures of the tech checking the machine in the freight company.

Attachments

• damaged-plotter.jpg
    damaged-plotter.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 179
Broken jv3 160s leg

Broken leg

Attachments

• broken-leg.jpg
    broken-leg.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 2012-07-02 16.24.38.jpg
    2012-07-02 16.24.38.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG00291-20120702-1619.jpg
    IMG00291-20120702-1619.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 162

DRPSignsNGrafix

That sucks. Was it insured on the shipping? Did you have it insured? File against Ebay to get your money back from who u bought it from? How was it shipped. Welcome from VA

MikePro

o wow. love how they just simply strapped (more like CRUSHED) it down!
also, "padding" shown has no real use whatsoever, except most likely filling the internals with loads of debris.

best of luck on the restoral. hope you got a great deal on it, since at the very least you're looking at qty3-$800 printheads, the manifolds (black tips) will come with em, and you may as well get new dampers (ink filled white/clear pieces that attach to printheads) while you're at it for like <$30each.

noted, i wouldn't worry much about the casing or the legs. they're really just a shell to protect the circuitry and moving parts contained within.

Border

Good grief, they tried to ship it without taking it off the stand???!!!!

Looks like someone woke up that morning and took a whole handful of stupid pills.

Robert M

Printers

that is the worst one I have ever seen. In the future always use a moving company if you do not have the original box. you pay more but they treat it like a piece if furniture and it gets there in one piece.
I have the bones of a JV3 if you need any structural parts.

asd

what is the progress on this rebuild, I got my from ups the same way completly destroy, I will most likely be filing a claim for reinburstmen

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Ouch!! Shipping it on the stand is actually okay (not ideal but I've seen them shipped on the stand more often than not just fine). However the yellow shipping bars are missing which are REQUIRED for strapping the machine down properly. They bolt underneath each end of the main unit. Strapping it down over the machine is NOT okay, I've seen them damaged due to this before. The damage "mostly" appears cosmetic though but as is, it is only worth about $500 to $1000 at best due to the sheer amount of work it needs. My biggest worry and what would be fatal irreparable damage is if the carriage is bent. In the attached that could just be glare but it almost looks as though it were strapped over the middle of the carriage. If it was and that is bent, the printer carriage is junk and the entire machine is scrap parts only. You would need a near complete donor chassis, plus of course the expensive bits like the print heads. Even as it is, in my opinion it is hardly worth trying to fix. The JV3 is 10 year old technology, tougher to maintain, much more difficult to align, slower, etc than any of the newer generation machines. They do not have USB, only wretchedly slow parallel or firewire and the firewire card (while a good fast connection) on the JV3 machines is very well known for failing over time with IF20/IF21 errors. Personally, I'd be junking the chassis and parting it out for the boards, power supply, etc.

Edit to add- I now feel like an idiot because I replied to an old dead thread.... :Sleeping: I need more coffee still. Considering cesarwong's only 3 posts ever on this site were from nearly a year ago when he started this thread and never once even replied to anyone who posted in the thread asd, I seriously doubt you will get a reply from him.

Attachments

• tecnico1.jpg
    tecnico1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 152