• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles in styrene

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
I am printing on Avery 2920 and installing it onto .060 styrene. It a full digi print, and my table guy is by himself so he installed it wet "splash"

The sign looked great, however the next day hundreds of air bubbles showed up making the sign unsellable.

Anyone have this problem and how did you salve it?

2B

the bubble appeared 24 hrs after the vinyl was stuck? So it was pristine smooth surface when it was stuck?

you mention a wet "splash", typically the bubble are from the fluid not being able to drain / escape from behind the sign.
Have you punctured any of the bubble to see if it is air filled or fluid filled? Use a needle or clothes pin to ***** the bubble

Since you have a one man installation, try getting a BIG squeegee, this will allow a dry stick easier on a full panel,assuming 48 x 96

Techman

yes, it happens all the time.
Its all about the technique to prevent it from appearing. Proper technique and a sharp squeegee will just about eliminate pickle skin.

The blisters have nothing to do with the mythical "outgasing" nothing to do with a contaminated surface, Nothing to do with bad vinyl.

When using any kind of juice the surface has to be wet. Not a light spritz of juice, not a mist over the top. Not a little fog.. The surface has to be wet.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
Bubbles

We did pop several of the bubbles and they are dry. We did a redo and this time we layed dry ( I didn't know that earyler) and we got bubbles in that one as well, just not as many. It is only 24hr old however.

Techman

I didn't know that earyler) and we got bubbles in that one as well, just not as many

There ya have it. Both dry and wet had blisters.

Its in the install technique where you make blisters or not.

You must have a sharp squeegee.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
bubbles

everyone seems to think I am having problems laying the vinyl.

Again it lays perfect and looks great for 12-24 hours. after the first 24 hours bubbles then appear and the longer we wait the more bubbles. They are all air not liquid bubbles.

My squeegee is fine and I do not need to use a laminator to install. This only happens on styrene.