Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bucket Truck Jib cost

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Apr 23, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    SH*T!
    Sorry, kindly annoyed at the moment. Just got a callback from Altec on my install truck. The jib arm had been worn down from riding on the basket, and they hit me with a price of $2,376.91 for the 3' fiberglass mast/arm/whatever you call it. They could not find a metal one (since the whole truck is insulated, why not?).
    Anybody else come across this situation? I'm all about safety, so I won't be slapping a piece of 3" steel in there unless I get some written statement from Altec, but I will source my own fiberglass before I pay this sort of extortion...

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Pay it, move on. Yeah the price is hard to take, but you'll waste days trying to find the "deal" then Alltec won't touch it because they didn't supply it.

New part
    with a licensed dealer doing the install is a slam dunk for warranty and liability.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I hear that. And I can certainly appreciate that going with the manufacturer's parts will (probably) save me any sort of headache moving forward.
    My real complaint is that Altec makes insulated line trucks first and foremost. They started cutting corners (to cut cost only) on the line trucks, made a couple of tweaks, and then called it a sign truck (which is great, why pay 250k for an insulated truck when they can build it for 150k). My problem is that I have 0 need for an insulated truck. The insulated jib is not going to save anybody any headache if they get it into overhead lines, but they are resisting looking into a different material to replace the jib with. I'm going to reach out to my salesman and see if I can get some contact within the engineering dept at Altec (probably a pipe dream) and see if they will work with me.
    BTW, if anybody here has a second hand Wilkie truck, and has never reached out to the folks at Wilkie for any issues, you're doing yourself a great disservice. They have always been fantastic to work with, and half the time when you call, you get the owner or one of his sons, who all care deeply about their work, and every customer is just as important as the last.

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Jburton I sent you a PM

5. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I'd buy a new jib before paying that.

6. Rocco G

Rocco G Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Pennsauken NJ
    These truck mfr's can be annoying. I just bought a jib for my Stamm mfg truck. They charged $7k for the whole thing delivered and included a 3' fiberglass arm that won't even work with my truck - the platform is larger than a normal bucket truck. The arm needed for sign work is a 5' aluminum arm, but they included the fiberglass anyway and charged for it. Had I known ahead of time i'd have asked them to not include the fiberglass arm and save me some $.

7. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Why didnt you ask or look at what you were buying first? It’s doesn’t seem real fair to bash stamm over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What sort of truck is it? I've been looking for an aluminum one that is rated for lifting, but haven't come across one just yet. I haven't really scoured google just yet, so it may be easier than I think to find.

Luckily the truck's little brother has an identical jib, and we don't use it very often since it's set up for service, so for the moment we just swapped the two rolled with it for the day, but I'm sure the second I say I don't need two I'll regret it.

9. Hero Signs

Hero Signs If they let me make it, they will come

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    I am on my fourth and fifth bucket truck, I am wondering why you didn't fabricate your own arm.
    all the manufacturers for bucket trucks and bucket truck repair are very high dollar your installer should have the skill set to do quite a bit of repair. manufacturers in dealerships now take the price double it and double the shipping it's ridiculous. it's just like if you want aluminum basket will one up yourself otherwise you're going to pay tons of money through the manufacturer.
    maybe I'm too damn redneck but to me I see more value in buying a vehicle that's 5-8 years old and buying a new one since I can get a bucket truck with material handler for 25 - 35thousand at auction depending on height.

10. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Liability is a big issue. If you have an accident with that truck and osha comes out to inspect it, youll be all done. It wont even matter if your homemade mod was the cause.
    The manufacturers also carry product liability insurance which is crazy expensive. They have to make money just like anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    If it was just me, I may consider it, but I can't put my guys in something homemade and feel good about it, especially when I'm trying to sleep at night, wondering what could happen tomorrow...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hero Signs

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    Well Notarealsignguy and Jburton obviously your fabrication abilities and my team's are quite different. If you need something amazing or large in the Houston market I can take care of the project. We all have equal right but not equal abilities. Bam!
    Now marketing , ya y'all are probably have me beat there as the 60+ % of my business is installing and service. Retail would be nicer margins, but we have still kept working during this BS crisis

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  13. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    You are right there. Building a box to put on top of a pole is mind blowing work saved only for the cream of the crop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Wait, what?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Ah, some serious capabilities I'm looking at here...
    [​IMG]
    Not gonna lie, done this sort of thing myself, but not ideal for the website...

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  16. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Lol, I've got some of those that I wouldn't be sharing on my website. The dude should of tied his ladder off at the top. We built one a few years ago any my guy was walking across the wood stringers like a cat.

17. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Git R Done!!
    I hope everyone knows that underwriters look at your websites and facebook pictures to see what ya do plus what you do but said you don't and what you do wrong.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hero Signs

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    The roof rack holds 700lbs and has expanded metal. We have much bigger projects installed.. sort of funny that you pick a basic sign to pole fun of me but you don't list the photos of the jobs that are larger than yours. like I said if you have a large project in Houston and you need somebody with electrical license and you know how, you know who to call.

19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I didn't mean to poke fun at your crew, so much as give ya some kick back. I was more offended by your comment:
    WTF does my bucket truck jib arm have to do with my fabrication abilities? I just don't think a 54" section of fiberglass is worth $2,500!
    And no, I'm not gonna slip a 3" OD steel pipe in there and call it a day. OSHA would crucify me...

20. Hero Signs

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    cool thing about math is that it is true. tensile strength/ load rating per thickness are real. Just as when they build a bridges say 50T capacity, they build it to withstand 2.5x as much. To ensure it is strong enough to withstand a minor damage/ imperfection. I suggest the same for you. If you have a bucket truck, you do get engineers to do windload math for you?????
    You have to look for the solution that is already in your tool bag. You just need the right mix of tools in the correct sequence. Bam!
    Life leason by Adam please pay $200. and see you next Tuesday.