• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bucket truck questions

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, if this is the wrong section, feel free to move it. My question is about replacing the buckets on a truck. I just bought a bucket truck and was wondering about replacing the fiberglass buckets with a basket style manlift type of platform. I've seen it done and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

T

TonyC

You should check with the manufacturer of the lift and check options they approve. I don't believe most lift makers are going to have an approved option for that kind of modification. Elliot and recent Versalifts are 2 that I can think of that will offer "basket" type options. All the bucket trucks I've owned only had 300-400 pound lift capacity and a metal basket (aluminum included) I believe would weigh too much and not allow enough remaining lifting capacity.

rjssigns

Would have to go back to the manufacturer for modification if the mod was even possible. Massive insurance liability otherwise.

ams

Versalift is good but generally have bucket styles. But for cages, International trucks normally have them. Seek the manufacturer on google.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the responses, The boom is an Altec with 2 1 man buckets and a material handler. I just thought replacing the fiberglass buckets with aluminum cages might make it a little more friendly for hanging signs, to be able to reach through the bucket from time to time as well as something to help hold panel signs with going up. I understand the weight factor, but I'm not looking to replace the use of a crane or anything.

equippaint

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought I could add some info to the archive.
For the aluminum platform style bucket trucks, Stamm manufacturing makes them on the versalift. As far as I know, they were the original company doing them (and approved by versalift) and were the go to vendor for this until VL started recently making it a factory option (although they still do the mod). I also believe they were branded as signalier when they had a platform rather than a bucket. Theyre a big versalift dealer and also sell manitex sign cranes. Really great people to deal with and are usually at all of the sign shows too.