• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Budget Inks for Roland?

I went to NBM show Saturday and spoke to the people and Budget Inks, Has anyone used these?
They say there are 4000 users so I figure Signs 101 should have a couple people. They told me they use the same profiles, their print looked good at the show... Can save about $40.00 per cartridge...

IND Digital Dept.

@industryprintshop
Haven't heard of them but we run Nazdar 202 series in our Roland XR-640 and love 'em. All you gotta do is switch out the old cartridges as they empty out, and they print amazing. Considerably cheaper than the Roland inks as well.

2B

the one point that I have seen with the change to 3rd party inks is the amount of usage of the printer.
if the machine is constantly in use then you will see success, if the machine sits then saying with OEM is better

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Always be careful when picking a 3rd party ink. There are good ones out there but there are a lot of bad ones. I fix printers in the field and I have fixed machines from Colorado, to California to Virginia for the last almost 10 years and I have never heard of or seen those inks in a machine before. Maybe I have just avoided their 4000 customers. If you want to be safe stick with a brand that a lot of people use already. Bordeaux, Triangle, JetBest are three off the top of my head. At the end of the day, ink cost is one of your lowest costs to begin with. Trying to optimize it can be more hassle than it is actually worth. You are much better off optimizing work flow issues and cutting costs on time and mistakes than ink cost for most small shops. Obviously if you are printing 10 liters of ink a day it is worth it but if you are a 1 man shop like half the industry, it's not as important.

IND Digital Dept.

@industryprintshop
the one point that I have seen with the change to 3rd party inks is the amount of usage of the printer.
if the machine is constantly in use then you will see success, if the machine sits then saying with OEM is better
A good point to consider. Ours runs all day, everyday, so we have not had that issue, thankfully.

mmblarg

Not sure on your brand, but we switch to 20/20 Color inks for Roland to save money and it has been the absolute worst! Constant issues with the cartridges not signaling when they are empty and either a print will change color half way through or we don't catch it and the print head dries out. Personally I don't think it's worth messing with off brands because of this... but we could just be the exception.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Not sure on your brand, but we switch to 20/20 Color inks for Roland to save money and it has been the absolute worst! Constant issues with the cartridges not signaling when they are empty and either a print will change color half way through or we don't catch it and the print head dries out. Personally I don't think it's worth messing with off brands because of this... but we could just be the exception.

I have seen the 20/20 inks destroy printers. It's something about the solvent they use or just the amount of solvent they use. Whenever I get a service call and someone has 20/20 inks I tell them to flush and switch to something better before I even show up.

mmblarg

The manager and I have been trying to get the owner to switch for months... but your info has peeked his interest! Time to start a new thread since he wants to see what the word is on the site about the 20/20 inks and alternatives, haha.

rjssigns

Something to think about. How much ink is actually getting deposited as opposed to going into the atmosphere? Way back when I tried third party inks the cartridges emptied a lot faster than OEM. Found out why after my printer went nuts then stopped completely. Encoder strip, eye, ribbon cables and inside of cover were covered in over spray, and I mean covered.
I did some testing and found 3rd party ink used more grams per square foot than OEM. Fact. Not to mention the high solvent load killed cap tops and dampers in a matter of weeks. Much higher VOC content was my conclusion.
When it came down to actual square feet per cart there wasn't much savings.

My former tech said the VOC's were killing drive belts too.

Want more info check some of my earlier threads.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
rjssigns
Absolutely. But not all 3rd party ink is bad. What's the brand of the ink that you had had bad experience with? Some people they wanted to try third party ink. They chose the cheapest ink they could find. The bottles come without labels. Now who's fault is it?

Absolutely agreed to VanderJ. There are good inks and many many bad inks. Lots of good reviews on Jetbest, Bordeaux and Nazdar. Jetbest, Bordeaux and Nazdar are true names of ink manufacturer. In case there is a massive bad batch of inks that burn printheads left and right. Somebody has to pay for it. Resellers can close the door. Ink manufacturer most likely will not.

We rarely see budget ink users in the west coast.

premiercolour.com
USA distributor for Jetbest

rjssigns

rjssigns
Absolutely. But not all 3rd party ink is bad. What's the brand of the ink that you had had bad experience with? Some people they wanted to try third party ink. They chose the cheapest ink they could find. The bottles come without labels. Now who's fault is it?

Absolutely agreed to VanderJ. There are good inks and many many bad inks. Lots of good reviews on Jetbest, Bordeaux and Nazdar. Jetbest, Bordeaux and Nazdar are true names of ink manufacturer. In case there is a massive bad batch of inks that burn printheads left and right. Somebody has to pay for it. Resellers can close the door. Ink manufacturer most likely will not.

We rarely see budget ink users in the west coast.

premiercolour.com
USA distributor for Jetbest

3rd party ink in question came from the Roland dealer. I thought it would be fine since he wouldn't do anything to damage the printer or his reputation. Wrong on both counts.