• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Build your own arcade system

Joe Diaz

I've decided I'm going to build my own arcade system.

First I plan on getting the controls: http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade.../two-player-build-your-own-arcade-bundle-pcb/

Then, instead of just getting any old computer and monitor, I want to use an old HP touchsmart with the multi-touch screen. That way you can browse through the computer using the touchscreen until you pull up the games, then use the arcade controls.

Then I'll have to build the enclosure, shouldn't be a problem with the tools we have.

But the fun part will be designing the prints to go on it. I want to come up with something custom but to still have that old school classic arcade look.

Have any of you built one before? Any tips or tricks?

genericname

Oh hell yes! Sad that none of their buttons are candy red though.

Always wanted to make my own MAME cabinet. Please update with your progress!

ProWraps

joe, instead of building a standup, you should think about building one of the table versions.

so much better when you have peeps over, you can put your drinks on it etc!

rfulford

You must have a rollerball!!! Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles, Marble Madness... Too many good ones to miss.

Edit: You should also make it take quarters to help with beer money.

Joe Diaz

joe, instead of building a standup, you should think about building one of the table versions.

so much better when you have peeps over, you can put your drinks on it etc!

Yeah, I'm torn, if I do a standup I can do huge graphics down the side, but if it were smaller it would be easier to move around.

We plan on building on to our shop, which would mean I get my own office (finally), and I would have plenty of room to put this in. I see the unit itself acting as an example piece.

mnapuran

I built one of these back in 2003.... A few images below.

A used leaf switches to get the authentic feel too :wink:

Attachments

• LR_20031227-05.jpg
    LR_20031227-05.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 109
  • LR_20031227-04.jpg
    LR_20031227-04.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 113
  • LR_20031227-01.jpg
    LR_20031227-01.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 100
  • LR_20031223-07.jpg
    LR_20031223-07.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 126
  • LR_20031219-04.jpg
    LR_20031219-04.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 107

Joe Diaz

I built one of these back in 2003.... A few images below.

A used leaf switches to get the authentic feel too :wink:

Now we're talking! very cool. Anything I should look out for when making one? This is new territory for me. I'm good with my hands, carpentry should be no problem, and I can build computers, but still there are a few unknowns.

heyskull

Yes I like this a lot but what machine will be running all the games?
Can I suggest an original XBOX that has been chipped and has Coinops 5 installed.
This will give you every conceivable retro arcade game you could ever think of!
Do a little research the original XBOX is the ultimate over engineered game system?
I have two of these old machines on my network running all my old games which run into the thousands and using XBMC (XBOX Media Centre) it is the ultimate Media Player.
I promise you will not be disappointed and these machines can now be bought for peanuts and once you install a large hard drive into them it is unbelievable .

SC

John L

Joe,

Heres two that I did a long while back for my kids and me. I later did a door and coin mech on the full size cabinet but I couldnt find the finished picture tonite. For the controls, I just bought the Xarcade dual setup and it worked great. Theres a trackball controller mounted inside the drawer also (for golf games, centepede, etc).

I love these mame cabs but I collect many authentic arcade games and pinball machines too. We still have family tournament arcade nights here sometimes. I always wanted to make my own ski-ball but haven't got that one going yet. I also am currently kicking myself cause I just got outbid on two duckpin bowling lanes, ball returns, and automatic pinsetters from the local eagles club that just moved out!

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 29996[1].jpg
    29996[1].jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 26523[1].jpg
    26523[1].jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 94

IGD

Joe,

Heres two that I did a long while back for my kids and me. I later did a door and coin mech on the full size cabinet but I couldnt find the finished picture tonite. For the controls, I just bought the Xarcade dual setup and it worked great. Theres a trackball controller mounted inside the drawer also (for golf games, centepede, etc).

I love these mame cabs but I collect many authentic arcade games and pinball machines too. We still have family tournament arcade nights here sometimes. I always wanted to make my own ski-ball but haven't got that one going yet. I also am currently kicking myself cause I just got outbid on two duckpin bowling lanes, ball returns, and automatic pinsetters from the local eagles club that just moved out!

Good luck with your project.
man those are cool as hell, just curious, how much did you spend from start to finish on either or