• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Building the Pyramids...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ok, so the question has rattled around in my head about the brute force labor that would have been required to build the pyramids: the pulling, the ramping, the lifting, etc...

Why is it that we don't give the Egyptians a little more credit than that?

I'd like to think they were a bit smarter and actually rolled large wheels of stone into place and then cut them into cubes in situ, thus only having to position them with creative methods the last few feet of their journey.

Or...let's say they attached wooden "rockers" to four sides of a of a cube and created a wheel that way (visualize a square circumscribed by a circle).

Plausible?

JB

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Better yet...... how'd they get those huge blocks to the site, in the first place ?? That kinda stone was nowhere to be found anywhere near the site. Did they use boats, camels, or drag it with your wheels ?? Those stones weighted well over 2 tons.

I think Martians helped. :bookworm

Johnny Best

When I was a kid and would look at National Geographic mag on pyramids it was fascinating to see the illustrations and photos of the ancient burial sites. Since then they have still discovered more information on how they were built.
But I think it will always remain a mystery to the mind to comprehend how they came about in that ancient time thousands of years ago.

JR's

I don't think it was aliens, LOL it's just knowledge we either wiped out forgot or hid. Because of our ignorance fear or pride. Quite sad really.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahh..... that's all well and good, but did you notice all the modern screws, nuts and bolts were used to make his apparatus ?? Now, he got it up a few feet, but how did those people or Martians get those huge stones and blocks 800' in the air on the top and keep everything so symmetrical ??

JR's

you must be right Gino, Martians.
I cant believe people think the world is round.

True story I came across an old sign my mentor did.
This was done BC before computers.
It was a simple sign but a lot of Helvetica around 1 inch and 2 inch letters.
There was no scotch tape used for the corners and the letters were precise and look like it was done by a computer. And I laugh because it is so easy to say it must of been done by Martians or aliens instead of saying it was done by a man, a very talented man. But that sign did look like it was done with the computer but it was hand-lettered.

AF

Pyramids were built by the ancient Jews in their 400 year Egyptian captivity prior to the exodus. Estimates of their slave labor force size number in the millions. Brute force combined with ingenuity. Stone workers were a dime a dozen back in those days since it was the primary building material.

Much as the calculator has diminished people’s ability to do longhand math, as better contraptions and easier to work with materials were developed the old skills of long ago become lost with time. We see the same effect in the trades today. Try to find a young buck who can line up a saw blade without a laser.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah, I forgot, you were there and have first-hand knowledge. Pictures of the walls depicting what happened ?? Because it only showed 120 slaves moving it, that's the answer. Like they had time and the space to draw out and paint 9,000 slaves doing the work, huh ?? Now, why didn't they take some selfies while they were doing it ??

You believe too many of your articles, poor boy.

Johnny Best

Mystery solved! Like Toad says, "you can find all sorts of answers"
pyamids.jpg

mpn

A while back I saw a documentary where there was a theory they floated them in small canal channels they built first. It seemed plausible and if I remember correctly there was evidence to support it. Also a way to rise to the top levels like a canal raises ships with stepped lockes.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I seem to recall that they found a barge dock 2 miles away, and had floated the stones from the upper nile.

TimToad

I hope I didn't come off sounding like a pharoh/plantation owner. And don't be fooled, I'm always grabbing my fair share of the load. I just mean to say, throw enough strong backs at a heavy object and it tends to move.

At least you didn't use a very stereotypical and denigrating name in your depiction.

As well as adding some water or lube and things move easier. I don't know where the video is but folks have documented big rocks appearing to move across the dry beds of salt lakes in places around Death VAlley and elsewhere.

It's amazing what wind and water combined can move.